Jenna's Reviews > Contagion

Contagion by Joanne Dahme

Oct 21, 2010

bookshelves: books-read-in-2010, reviewed, arc-or-blog-tours

THE TWEET
A young girl adjusts to marriage, while fighting her attraction to another man, & investigating deadly outbreak in 19th cent. Philadelphia.

WHAT WORKED
I liked how this book was straight up suspense/mystery. I've been reading a lot of paranormal YA recently and I love the genre, but it was nice to step away from that and read something different. Plus, I grew up reading mystery novels and it was great to "get back to my roots," so to speak.

I also really liked Patrick's character. He's the quintessential person readers will love to hate. In Patrick, Dahme created a complex and interesting character. To everyone but his wife Rose, he was condescending, full of himself and slightly bigoted. But he was a great character because he was able to put forth a loving facade to Rose, despite his true personality. Even when Rose first became suspicious of his actions, he was able to convince her, for a time, that he was a good person.

The descriptions of the city of Philadelphia, particularly the Water Works, were very well written. As a native Philadelphian, it was great to imagine the city during a different century and to see it through Rose's eyes. I admit, I knew very little about the Water Works, prior to reading Contagion, but the novel created an interest in me to learn more about what was a pivotal part of Philadelphia during the 19th century.

OVERALL
Dahme has written a great mystery set in 19th century Philadelphia. She is able to capture a reader's attention with wonderful characters and plot development, as well as suspenseful scenes.

MY RATING

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Contagion.

October 21, 2010 – Started Reading