Ylenia's Reviews > From a Distant Star

From a Distant Star by Karen McQuestion

liked it
bookshelves: 2015-reads, kindle

*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, thanks again*

*3.1 stars*

QUICK REVIEW
An interesting YA science fiction standalone novel, From A Distant Star entertained me with an engaging premise and a great writing style.
Yeah, the main character is a soft version of the typical YA dumb protagonist but it's still an enjoyable fast read – I read in a day and I had to work.
Fans of aliens or YA in general will probably enjoy this book more than me!

FULL REVIEW

Plot • ★★★.5 stars
From a Distant Star has a pretty interesting premise: Emma and Lucas are boyfriend and girlfriend, they love each other so so so much (*insert sarcasm here*) but Lucas is sick, he has cancer and he's dying. Emma is the only one that still has a little bit of hope for him.
After a series of strange events Lucas starts to feels better but Emma notices he's not the same as before and, at the same time, she founds a mysterious object outside his house.
I don't have a lot to say about the plot of this book, since it didn't have any particular problems.
Since this is a standalone novel the pace is fast – but not rushed – and the actual action happens in a matter of days.
My problem is that, when I'm reading and I get bored, I normally skim-read some paragraphs, just to get to the action parts and be done with it. This happened a couple of times with this book, mostly because it was pretty obvious to me there would be a happy ending.

Characters • ★★.5 stars
Emma is the classic YA """heroine""" that takes bad decisions (the first one around 17%, then she says yes to a stupid plan and an actual okay decision at 50% of the book – I love to take notes while I'm reading).
She thinks she's sassy and badass when she's just stupid.
There's also a scene when she gives a girl a slutty nickname just because that girl is NICE to her boyfriend. I hated that, I think there's enough slut shaming in real life.
I also didn't understand why Lucas' brother needed to be 14 when he acted and talked like an 18 years old guy.

Setting / World Building • ★★★ stars
Since you probably guessed there's alien stuff involved in this book I will say I appreciated how they were presented. They kind of can do everything and they're better than us in every single aspects so there's nothing really original, but nonetheless I liked it.
The three stars are also for the info dumps here and there.

Writing Style / Format • ★★★★ stars
The writing was enjoyable and the chapters well divided, I liked the dual perspective.

Ending / Feelings • ★★.5 stars
Like I said, the ending was predictable, at least for me but maybe I read a lot of similar books, I don't know. Since is a standalone novel you can kind of guess from the start how it's going to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From a Distant Star.

May 6, 2015 – Shelved