rachel • typed truths's Reviews > Fearless

Fearless by Cornelia Funke

May 06, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: read-2015, 3-star, paranormal-fantasy-uf

I know that I am a mood reader - scheduling what books to read when just doesn’t work for me. I know that, obviously. But for some reason I pushed myself through this book even though I knew that I just wasn’t in the right mood for such a ‘heavy’ and wordy fantasy. Don’t get me wrong though, this book was fantastic. I cannot deny that. Fearless was the continuation of Jacob Reckless' journey in the Mirrorworld, and the story was engrossing as always.

The plot, somehow, manages to be a constant stream of surprises. New creature, new folklore, new storylines pop up constantly and weave themselves into the web of the main story. Somehow it works. It wasn’t disorientating, like expected, but managed to grab your attention. The only downside was that every time I put the book down I lost the little thread the story was following… and since I wasn’t in the right mood to be reading it in the first place, that was more often than it should have been.

The writing, however, was so bloody gorgeous, it (mostly) made up for it. I know a lot of people say that books that have been translated tend to lose that “special something” from the native language, but boy, if we are missing out on something (writing-wise) than I cannot even begin to comprehend how utterly marvellous the original German text must be.

In the end, I was impressed with this book. It was very, very good and probably deserves more than I can give it. I just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I picked it up. The wordy tendencies of Cornelia Funke were a little too much for me at the time, but the storyline was great, the characters were great and the writing was perfect – so a great read overall. I only wish the third sequel had been translated into English already so I can pick it up – this had a bit of a cliff hanger. Sigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fearless.