Alison C's Reviews > Sorrow Lake

Sorrow Lake by Michael J.  McCann

F 50x66

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sorrow Lake , by Michael J. McCann, is subtitled "A March and Walker Crime Novel," indicating that it is the first of a new series. Detective Constable Kevin Walker, formerly a small town police officer and now a member of the Ontario Provincial Police after that law enforcement agency took over the policing of his town, is given his first homicide case as lead investigator when a local used-car salesman is found executed in a field; Ellie March, an Acting Detective Inspector with the OPP, is brought in from outside the region when she is assigned as the case manager. The two of them turn out to work well together, but many of the other officers on the case are far from happy with their assignments, not liking to be supervised by a woman and a very young investigator. In spite of that, the team must learn how to work together in order to unravel a very tangled web indeed.... I quite enjoyed this novel, set in rural Ontario, in part because I'm interested in reading more Canadian crime fiction but largely because I found the two lead characters, Walker and March, to be charismatic individuals with very human flaws and problems. I did identify the culprit pretty early in the story, but finding out how the characters reach their conclusions in the matter was a lot of fun, and I was not at all upset to find my own theory vindicated in the end! Evidently Mr. McCann has an earlier crime series to his name, which I intend to look for on the basis of this novel, and a second March and Walker novel is already in the works as well. Recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorrow Lake.

May 5, 2015 – Started Reading