Carolyn's Reviews > The Lost Swimmer

The Lost Swimmer by Ann   Turner

19559507

bookshelves: around-the-world, netgalley, mystery

Life should be good for Rachel Wilding. She's at the top of her profession as a Professor of Archaeology at a small coastal University where her husband Stephen is also a successful academic, a professor of Economics. They have a beautiful house on a lovely coastline and their two children have grown up and are leading their own lives in the city. However, things are not going well at work. Her Dean is making life difficult for her and a serious case of fraud has been uncovered for which Rachel is under investigation. On top of that she is worried that her husband is making bad investments on the stock market and may be having an affair. looking forward to getting away from work for a while, Rachel and Stephen decide to go ahead with their summer conference trip to Greece and Italy.

On the whole, I thought this was a very good first novel. There is plenty of intrigue to keep the reader interested right the way through. The settings were beautifully described, first the rugged Victorian coast and idyllic beaches and then the Amalfi coast including that horrendous coastal road that is every bit as scary as described. The plot was well thought out with plenty of twists and turns and red herrings with the tension building up slowly at first and then relentlessly as Rachel deals with the allegations of fraud and mistrust and then the fear that her husband has drowned. I felt a real empathy for Rachel and the terrible situation that she was in, although as we discover she is a strong woman capable of confronting her fears head on. I would have liked to have got a bit more of a feel for Stephen's character as I felt there were quite a few unanswered questions and loose ends, particularly about what Stephen was really up to and about the nature of his disappearance. Apart from that, I really enjoyed this well written mystery.

With thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for an e-copy of this book to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Swimmer.

May 4, 2015 – Started Reading
May 4, 2015 – Shelved
May 6, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: around-the-world
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: netgalley
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: mystery

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Very well-done and clear review. And I like the thought of a mystery story dealing with the sorts of things people actually deal with; rather than, say, murder.