Miriam's Reviews > Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales: Selected and Illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger

Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales by Lisbeth Zwerger

liked it
bookshelves: picture

You should call things by their true names, and even if you don't do so usually, you ought to in a fairy tale.
--HCA, "The Rose-Tree Regiment"

I enjoyed most the first section, from The Sandman, a series of pleasant dreams for good children. I'll have to read it in full some time.

As for the rest, they were mostly better-known Andersen tales, all of which I had read before, some even previously illustrated by Zwerger as stand-alone picture books. So, nice illustrations, big text blocks, familiar stories. Nothing to wrote home about unless you've not read them before.

My favorite was from Thumbelina, because doesn't the flower fairy prince totally look like a douche trying to make it with some innocent teen?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales.

Started Reading
May 4, 2015 – Shelved
May 4, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Michael Jones I find Anderson can be a little overrated, though he was such a groundbreaker in his day and his stories are very memorable. For me though, they become a little dry, lacking some of the strands of continuity and character development and world building that we know more about nowadays. I read my kids the Little Match Girl and they loved it and cried. But some of the other stories have put them to sleep.

message 2: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala in the usually
I'm going to adopt that phrase!

Miriam Michael wrote: "I find Anderson can be a little overrated, though he was such a groundbreaker in his day and his stories are very memorable. For me though, they become a little dry"

I don't know who translated the text for this, but it was definitely one of the drier version I've read.

The Little Match Girl is so sad! I cried when I was a kid, too. Probably putting your kids to sleep is a good thing, no?