Jessica Edwards's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read 2 times. Last read August 30, 2017.

I read this book before actually watching the film, and I'm going to be honest and say that I prefer the book.
I've said before that I don't like to read a lot of Dystopian books, but I made an exception on this book because it was coming up a lot on my Goodreads Homepage, and I was surprised with how much I enjoyed it.

Sixteen year old Tris Prior lives in a futuristic world in which society is divided into factions.
When each person enters adulthood, he or she must choose a faction and stay in it for life.
There is;
Abnegation, which values selflessness.
Amity, which value peace.
Erudite which values knowledge.
Candor which values honestly.
Dauntless which values bravery.

Beatrice Prior (Tris) is a member of Abnegation with her brother Caleb.
Every boy and girl must take an aptitude test to decide which faction they are most suitable for.
The test starts with a confrontation with a vicious dog.
Tris shows Abnegation, Erudite and Dauntless and because of this, it means she is something called Divergent.
Tris is warned to never tell anyone about her results, because being a Divergent is incredibly dangerous.

Tris is strng willed, brave and she's reluctant to show any kind of weakness which I freaking loved!

The Dauntless instructor known as Four, becomes Tris' primary love interest. He is known as Four because during his own Dauntless initation, it was revealed that he only has four years. Four was also born Abnegation, but he chose to Dauntless to escape the abuse of his father. At first, Four has an elusive, mysterious personality and he's quite mean to Tris, but he eventually allows himself to become close to Tris.

Now I'm going back to reading Dark and Twisted books xD

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
July 22, 2014 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
July 22, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
May 4, 2015 – Shelved
June 29, 2015 – Shelved as: alpha-male (Hardcover Edition)
June 29, 2015 – Shelved as: favourites (Hardcover Edition)
June 29, 2015 – Shelved as: good-series (Hardcover Edition)
June 29, 2015 – Shelved as: jerks (Hardcover Edition)
June 29, 2015 – Shelved as: swoon (Hardcover Edition)
Started Reading
August 30, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 30, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 30, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Kelly I really liked the book too. Though it's been a while since I saw the film- I read the book first too- I thought it stayed quite close to the book. A lot closer than many book-to-screen adaptations do.

Tahera This book was good though the other two in the series were just okay...by the third book I felt the author was dragging the story just to complete her trilogy.

Audrey I found this to be the best of the three, and its movie was the most faithful to the book as well.

River Catherwaye Whats your faction? Mine is divergent. I actually took the test.