Madhavi Kuppachi's Reviews > The Ray Synchronicity

The Ray Synchronicity by Lata Sony

F 50x66

I started the book over a long weekend in high anticipation of an exciting read, intrigued by the e-book page write-up. Knowing the author held no clues to what or how the contents would be. Indeed, it was more with a feeling of, "has she really managed to pull it off", that I began to read.
The beginning build- up of vivid imagery and an early injection of suspense is promising. And the introduction of inscrutable transforming teenagers, bio-ray weaponry, are all good Sci-fi signs.
Very soon, the going gets technical and perhaps slows the pace down a bit. Flooded with concepts about energy fields, mind-altering weapons, out-of-body experiences, soul-spimes, and a few such technical terms, I briefly put the book down for a breather. But the promise of the premise made me quickly return. This time to go onto a heady tour of Platinum Earth (hint : no platinum credit card can get you there). Again lucid descriptions building up a picture, but still the fascinating yet frequent concepts pour onto the page, taking the picture into slow-motion mode again.
Yet all of this is brightened every now and again by the author's inventiveness which even recreates God's grandeur in a delightfully techie twist. "MUSS-oloriously" enjoyable, that whole reference.
Yes, the cosmic good versus bad battle-lines are now being drawn, the grand universal players all lined up but do I find them a tad caricaturish? They do have some crisp lines to mouth, though. All I know is I would love to see this part animated, with all the latest 3D-plus effects enabled.
It was in the ninth chapter that I found my strongest 'why should I care' plot-line, which just burst out of the page with soul-wrenching poignancy. From then on, the saga of the late-comer protagonist won me over with its startling, yet touchingly relatable truths. The pathos here is nicely tempered with peppery pungent takes on modern society, and our whole digital entangledness, showing up the obsessive state of "connectivity" that is already well upon many of us. The all-pervasive "Search" that makes all things possible in the Universe, is a telling note on where we're headed.
Laugh-out-loud moments lurk in the following few chapters as the author, tongue-firmly-in-cheek, shows up absurdities of the digital e-age.
So we finally begin to get to the point of it all, but hey this is not an office commute promising the shortest path from Point A to Point B. The meandering ride to get here has been full of enlightening, entertaining moments. Sci-fi, High-Tech meets Hindu mythical philosophy meets cosmic spirituality meets universal stream-of-consciousness, all flowing well together. If you are a spiritual-philosophy junkie, plenty of lightly tucked-in little nuggets to savor here.
Initially, the chronological leaping back and forth from chapter to chapter takes a little getting used to, but is quickly forgotten in the fun of the ride and the eagerness to move ahead.
Now the pieces are beginning to show the underlying cosmic pattern, the universal grand design. The magic of Synchronicity is brilliantly revealed, a light frothy touch quickly skimming over the heavy or dark parts. The how-where-when tempo of the plot unfolds with a nice beat and momentum. Sci-fi is simplified, secrets are revealed, things go as they should, but of course with the nice twists and turns that any respectable thriller deserves. By the time it all neatly folds up, you sit back, having consumed a tasty, wholesome Indian meal, one that is well-tempered for a discerning global palate.
What more can one ask of a long-weekend read. Oh yes, show us more of the Synchronicity please. And at least make it a trilogy here, to do full justice to the theme.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ray Synchronicity.

Started Reading