Harmony Kent's Reviews > I've Loved These Days

I've Loved These Days by Bethany Turner

20096235

Abigail Phelps undergoes a long process of therapy to combat her mental illness. She seems to suffer from delusions of grandeur, and a little paranoia about a certain Teddy Kennedy. Her therapist suggests that she write down her delusions, to help her see them for what they are. What results is a set of memoirs. And, as the blurb says, the reader has to "Put aside all you think you know and jump into the greatest love story the world has never known." I loved this book. It held me in thrall from beginning to end. So much so, that it completely jumped my TBR queue once I'd read a sample on Amazon. LOL. I noticed a few hiccups here and there, but the story was so good that I easily ignored them. Although sometimes, the fact that hyphens were used instead of dashes, did mean I had to reread something to get the sense.

One thing I almost cannot forgive, though, is that the author completely obliterated the existence of Jane Torville, ice dancing champion of the eighties. I grew up with Torville and Dean as my idols, I tell you. When I got to that part of the book, it was like; No! How could you??!! But then I saw the funny side. In fact, the whole book is filled with a marvellous sense of humour. And although the book is full of lies (erm ... delusions), the characters are all well drawn and believable. I cared what happened next. So, even though I am cringing at what Ms Turner may do to my favourite famous people next, I absolutely have to read the next book in the series. On which point, although I'VE LOVED THESE DAYS is the first in a series, it works incredibly well as a standalone book. If you love rip-roaring tall-tales, then I heartily recommend this book. A solid five stars from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I've Loved These Days.

May 4, 2015 – Started Reading
May 4, 2015 – Shelved
May 4, 2015 –
15.0% "Loving this so far!"
May 4, 2015 –