Mary's Reviews > The Mime Order

The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon

Read 2 times. Last read January 30, 2017 to February 8, 2017.

It's not 2016 yet and this is a problem, because I need the next book. NOW.

What do I need to do to make everyone read this series? Sacrifices? Buy you all drinks on me? Howl at the moon? Because I’ll do it. In a heartbeat. This series is so good. IT’S SO GOOD, YOU GUYS. It’s become my favourite series of the year so far and I am so excited for the next book to come out in 2016. Because I need it. I need it now. I need it with a passion.

The Mime Order picks up right where The Bone Season left off and it’s even better than its predecessor. Samantha Shannon has come into her own as a writer and it tells, because the writing is absolutely fantastic. It courses effortlessly, it’s poetic, melodic and it made me not want to put this book down. With the reader being comfortable in this world, knowing all the nooks and crannies, Samantha can instead focus on the characters, on extending the plot and the world she has built. And oh gosh, do things get intense! I literally held my breath every page in the final quarter of the book. It’s fast paced, it’s action-packed and energetic.

The originality of the series, what makes it stand out, is there in every page: we get to understand more about clairvoyants and their powers. But at the same time, we’re introduced to a very cunning and powerful game of politics. This adds a second layer to the fantasy element and it’s fascinating to read about it. I love books that have political elements in them and that have you guessing throughout reading the story. Combine this with amazing characters and you have the recipe that drew me so much into this story.

I don’t want to get too much into the plot, because I want people who haven’t gotten into the series yet to be able to read this review and maybe consider picking these books up. Because I want to see more people blogging about them and talking about them. They have a compelling plot and a mixture of fantasy and dystopian elements that proves extraordinary. READ THEM. And then come cry and fangirl with me that there are 5 more books planned and we have none of them in our hands right now.

Favourite quotes:

“Words are everything. Words give wings even to those who have been stamped upon, broken beyond all hope of repair.”

“You can never want too much. That’s how they silence us,” I said. “They told us we were lucky to be in the penal colony instead of the æther. Lucky to be murdered with NiteKind, not the noose. Lucky to be alive, even if we weren’t free. They told us to stop wanting more than what they gave us, because what they gave us was more than we deserved.” I picked up my jacket. “You’re not a prisoner any more, Arcturus.” Warden looked at me in silence. I left him in that ruined hall with the music echoing above him.”

“Hope is the lifeblood of revolution. Without it, we are nothing but ash, waiting for the wind to take us.”

★★★★★

To everyone who got this far, thank you for reading and have a wonderful day! Also, feel free to share your thoughts, comment or tell me anything :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mime Order.

May 4, 2015 – Shelved
May 4, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 12, 2015 – Started Reading
June 14, 2015 –
page 170
33.33% "I missed this world."
June 16, 2015 –
page 335
65.69% "I need Warden and Paige to be happy and have lots of babies."
June 18, 2015 –
page 430
84.31% "I had to stop in the middle of the scrimmage because the stupid train arrived. *dying*"
June 18, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 30, 2017 – Started Reading
January 30, 2017 –
page 113
22.16% "yessssssssssssss"
February 6, 2017 –
page 340
66.67% "The Scrimmage is coming, I cannot wait! :D"
February 8, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Marie the Librarian I will read this. Some day. Soon. Hopefully. :D

message 2: by Kierra (new)

Kierra Wow, now I want these series :)

Mary Kierra wrote: "Wow, now I want these series :)"

YES YOU DO :D