Claudia's Reviews > City of Glass

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal-fantasy-scifi, series
Read from November 14 to 15, 2010

Loved it. 4.5
(Note: my longest review :D)

I'll start saying that the first book didn't really captivate me at the beginning. I didn't like Cassandra's writing, there where some plot holes and though the idea was original and interesting, I'd read better. Oh, and I hated it when Clary made that comment about Jace raising his eyebrow. The eyebrow thing is for this book, and this alone: Vampire Academy. Sorry Jace, I adore you, I really do, but Dimitri (♥) will always come first.
But when Clary finds out she's Jace's sister, well, that was the best What The Fuck?! moment ever . I praised the author for dealing with an issue as delicate as incest. Not everyone would have done that. Point for her.

I liked the second book better than the first, despite the difficult relationship between Jace and Clary (btw, Team Jace from the beginning :D.)
Simon was a sparkling flame of normality in the Shadowhunters' world in spite of being a vampire: he's one of the most good and honest characters in this series. During the third installment, he goes through an important change that will influence his way of acting in the future, but I'll still miss him as a human.
The second book ended with a cliffhanger: Clary discovers a way to wake her mom.

City of Glass was my favorite book among the three. The conclusion is perfect, all the pieces of the puzzle found their place, but what I liked more was Clary's battle to save her mother, Jace and all the people she loved. She proved to be more than a little kid, she showed us she was able to do what was needed to save her people.
Cassandra did a very good job: there were some great - and unexpected - turn of events, the new characters were awesome (Aline surely knew how to get on my nerves), the old were good as ever. I'm proud to say I realized that Sebastian was Valentine's spy right away. It took me a bit longer to understand that he'd also been raised by him, but Valentine being his biological father was a total surprise to me.
I was so happy when Alec finally admitted his homosexuality and started dating Magnus, I love them as a couple. I'm not so sure about who I want Simon to end up with, but I think I'm on Isabelle's side. Clary and Jace...jeez, their love almost tore me apart, they suffered so much. Another big Hallelujah for Jocelyn and Luke: it was obvious they were soulmates.

I'm really looking forward for the next installment, City of Fallen Angels. April 5th, you can't come soon enough.

Quotes:

These had me ROTFLOL (especially the first one):
"And quit baring your fangs at me. It's making me nervous."
"Good," Simon said. "If you want to know why, it's because you smell like blood."
"It's my cologne. Eau de Recent Injury."
Jace and Simon

"What happened to you?" Jace looked affronted. "What happened to me?
Alec shook him, not lightly. "You said you were going for a walk! What kind of walk takes six hours?"
"A long one?" Jace suggested.
Alec and Jace

"Not everything, Jace, is about you," Clary said furiously.
"Possibly," Jace said, "but you have to admit that the majority of things are."
Clary and Jace

"I'm not stupid. I can put these things together. You with your rune powers, and Jace, well...no one could be that annoying without some kind of supernatural assistance."
Simon

Alec had his arms around Magnus and was kissing him, full on the mouth. Magnus, who appeared to be in a state of shock, stood frozen. [...] Maia looked perplexed. "Wait a second," she said. "Do we all have to do that, too?"
Maia

"I am a man," he told her, "and men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone, woman, and bring me something brown."
Jace

"Is this the part where you tell me that if I hurt her, you'll kill me?"
"No," said Simon. "If you hurt Clary, she's quite capable of killing you herself. Possibly with a variety of weapons."
Jace and Simon

Heart-breaking (aka Sappy) Quotes:
"I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there's a life after that, I'll love you then."
Jace to Clary

"If your father weren't who he is," he said, "he'd be proud of you."
Luke to Jace

"You made them look at you and see the person they loved most in the world, didn't you?" "Yeah," Clary said. "How did you know?" "Because I heard them all calling out different names," Jocelyn said softly. "But I still saw you."
Jocelyn and Clary

"I was in the dark," he said softly. "There was nothing there but shadows, and I was a shadow, and I knew that I was dead, and that it was over, all of it. And then I heard your voice. I heard you say my name, and it brought me back." "Not me." Clary's throat tightened. "The Angel brought you back." "Because you asked him to." Silently he traced the outline of her face with his fingers, as if reassuring himself that she was real. "You could have had anything else in the world, and you asked for me."
Jace and Clary

"And now I'm looking at you," he said, "and you're asking me if I still want you, as if I could stop loving you. As if I would want to give up the thing that makes me stronger than anything else ever has. I never dared give much of myself to anyone before — bits of myself to the Lightwoods, to Isabelle and Alec, but it took years to do it — but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me."
Jace

This quote deserves a special place, maybe because Clary's answer is the one I've always wanted to give.
"Everything's going to be fine." Clary looked up at her mother, into the green eyes so like her own. "Mom," she said. "Don't lie."
Jocelyn and Clary

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Glass.

Quotes Claudia Liked

Cassandra Clare
“And now I’m looking at you,” he said, “and you’re asking me if I still want you, as if I could stop loving you. As if I would want to give up the thing that makes me stronger than anything else ever has. I never dared give much of myself to anyone before – bits of myself to the Lightwoods, to Isabelle and Alec, but it took years to do it – but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me.”
Cassandra Clare, City of Glass

11/14/2010
11/14/2010
65.0% "This book surely has got some of the best twists ever."
11/15/2010
100.0% "...and they lived happily ever after. Awww, sweet."
show 1 hidden update…