Jordan Price's Reviews > Wicked Cool

Wicked Cool by Val Kovalin

I flew through Wicked Cool in a couple of readings, which is unusual for me in a story that doesn’t have paranormal elements. While I’d classify it more as a contemporary than a crime, thriller or mystery, the love interest Brian is still a puzzle. He has something going on with his past where he won’t tell Stu anything about himself, and where he’ll make up a lie if he was cornered. What’s this thing he’s running from? All we can tell is that it was really bad.

The need to escape the mysterious, heavy thing was the catalyst for the sex in the story, which was always edgy, down-‘n-dirty, and on the verge of being public. Brian was desperate for human contact, to connect, and also to forget, to lose himself in the act if only for a few minutes.

Kink is something in erotic romance that usually turns me right off, because it can so often seem implausible, tacked-on, or just plain dumb. In Wicked Cool I was riveted. This is kink how it should be done: raw and needy, and integral to the character arcs and the way the two characters converge.

There was also a shooting range scene that I loved, because the author has firearms training and so the scene is clearly well-researched, but it doesn’t read at all like, “This is my hobby so now I’m going to bore you with a bunch of detailed exposition you don’t care about.” Instead, you feel like you’re right there at the shooting range, chatting with some colorful characters about how you might go about shooting someone in self-defense.

While I never saw the big reveal coming, I felt like every thread had led to it, and it was the perfect culmination of everything that had led up to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Cool.

Started Reading
October 18, 2010 – Finished Reading
October 20, 2010 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Val (new) - added it

Val Kovalin Oh, wow!!! Thank you, Jordan!

message 2: by Jordan (new) - added it

Jordan Price You're so welcome. I read very few m/m titles per year, and often I start them without finishing them if I find a lot of writing flaws. This one had me glued to the page.