Bill's Reviews > Diving into the Wreck

3195690
Oct 19, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: sf, onshelf

I thought I would like this more than I did. The story premise is pretty fun - diving shipwrecks in space, including a lot of world building that seems rightly borrowed from scuba diving here on Earth. The characters are also likable enough and fairly well-drawn, from the cynical Boss down through her motley team of co-divers.

On the downside, the storytelling is a little too simple and straightforward. The relationships and setups are easy to anticipate. The 'science' in this fiction is completely made of handwavium (I would have even preferred some pseudo-techno-blather a la Star Trek). The politics, which are the backbone of what passes for suspense, is about as deep as what George Lucas provides in Star Wars. Meh.

Still, there were some surprises and some pleasures. The descriptions of ships, space stations, diving tech and future life are well done. I may still read the additional stories in this series to see if things get more interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diving into the Wreck.