Gopal's Reviews > The Sound of Glass

The Sound of Glass by Karen   White

8206426

This was my GoodReads group A Good Thriller book pal Book of the Month Read with my GoodReads pal Kirsten.

First of all this book was on my to read list way to long. I always had a thought in the back of my mind that I may never get to reading it, but if I did not then it would have been my loss.

Karen White spins a emotional tale in this novel. Set in the deep southern country of America, this is basically what small town Americana looks like. The book opens with a plane crash. From there on it journeys into the realm of human emotions, bonds and entanglement. It is a story of how people, often strangers are brought together by circumstance or fate and how they try to make the best of their lives.

The story flows with little ebbs, the characters are nuanced and the drama within the novel holds your attention. Of the many characters in the book, my favorite is Owen (sorry Rocky). He's a kid struggling to deal with the loss of his father, a upheaval from the only home he has known and also dealing with his newly met step-sister who is almost as old as his mother.

The characters are myriad and the end is a bit emotional. The book deals with uncomfortable topics like spousal abuse, character death and reprisal. Ultimately The Sound of Glass is the triumph of human qualities and of perseverance most of all.

The only places where I was a bit disappointed with the author's writing was when she dealt with uncomfortable death scenes, the author just glossed over the fact that a major character died and the prose just cuts to the next happening in the life of the main actors. So that's the reason for docking a star.

Overall I would recommend this book for a read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of Glass.

May 2, 2015 – Shelved
May 2, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 1, 2016 – Started Reading
January 4, 2016 –
January 6, 2016 –
January 14, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Gopal The book starts off slow, but it is engaging me slowly. I can see the charm in this type of build up as well.