Zeia Jameson's Reviews > Marrow

Marrow by Tarryn Fisher

U 50x66

I bought and read Marrow the weekend it came out. I've really wanted to write a review since, but I have not been able to formulate my words accurately. This time, I think I may have gotten it right. Here goes:

What Tarryn Fisher does with her writing in Marrow sincerely is like nothing I have ever read. While her style reminds me in some ways of a few of my other favorite psychological thriller authors, Tarryn brings an extra personal touch that clearly brands her work and makes her writing stand out.

In Marrow, readers are given the opportunity to live vicariously through the main character, Margo. Margo retaliates on the wicked - those who have committed unthinkable crimes against the innocent.

Following Margo in her journey was a roller coaster ride. I sympathized with her upbringing and current situation in the Bone. I was angry with Margo at some decisions she made, especially regarding Judah. I rooted for her when she fought for Justice and took matters into her own hands, knowing what the consequences of her actions could be. And in the end, Margo left me with a raised eyebrow and a question mark looming over my head.

I think Margo can be interpreted in as many ways as there are readers of Marrow. And I personally think that this is what makes Marrow a success. The story is layered and multidimensional. It is raw and can leave a reader's soul vacant and fulfilled simultaneously.

Tarryn's words are woven to perfection. The thoughts Marrow's characters have regarding pain, hate, fear, beauty and aspirations are well beyond creative and beautiful.

If you are looking for a dark, yet real depiction of what it is like to live in a small, impoverished town that eats away at your entire being until nothing good is left, Marrow is for you. It allows readers to explore the mind of a resident of that town who feels there is only one right way to live the life that was bestowed upon her, no matter how counterintuitive that way may be to those who seem to be serving and protecting the guilty rather than the innocent.

Is Margo sane? Is she crazy? Is she right or is she wrong? All of those questions are up to the reader to decide.

I highly recommend Marrow. Tarryn Fisher has truly outdone herself with this story. Well done, Tarryn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marrow.

Finished Reading