Rebecca's Reviews > Circling the Sun

Circling the Sun by Paula McLain

bookshelves: historical-fiction, read-via-netgalley, reviewed-booktrib, best-of-2015

(Nearly 4.5) This is just as good as The Paris Wife – if not better. I didn’t think I was very interested in aviatrix Beryl Markham, but McLain proved me wrong. What a life story, and what terrific storytelling to do it justice. Before she ever thought of flying solo across the Atlantic, she was just Beryl Clutterbuck, raised in Kenya by her father in the 1900s–10s. She became one of Africa’s first female horse trainers, and its first professional female pilot. McLain describes her African settings beautifully, and a delicious love triangle between her, Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesen) and Denys Finch Hatton forms the kernel of the book.

(See my full review at BookTrib.)

Related reading: There’s a (very) short story about Beryl Markham in Almost Famous Women by Megan Mayhew Bergman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circling the Sun.

May 2, 2015 – Started Reading
May 2, 2015 – Shelved
May 7, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
May 7, 2015 – Shelved as: read-via-netgalley
May 7, 2015 –
56.0% "This is just as good as The Paris Wife -- if not better. I didn't think I was very interested in the life of Beryl Markham, but McLain is proving me wrong. Right now we've got a great love triangle going on between her, Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesen) and Denys Finch Hatton..."
May 11, 2015 – Shelved as: reviewed-booktrib
May 11, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ I hope this turns out to be good! Beryl Markham sounds fascinating!

Angela M Looking forward to this ! I'll read your full review when I've read it .

cameron Read Beryl Markham's Into the Sun. Great. Also loved The Paris Wife. Will definitely read this. Thanks

Margitte Great review, Rebecca. I was wondering what the purpose of this book was, since Beryl wrote her own autobiography. But bringing the person alive, giving her emotions and thoughts, really convinced me that this book was a great experience. A good companion read.

Rebecca I've not read Markham's autobiography, though I do have a copy. I look forward to it. It would be interesting to see how she presents herself versus how another author recreates her inner life.