SL's Reviews > The Good Luck of Right Now

The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick

F 50x66
May 02, 2015

Rating: 4 stars out of 5
(This book was really enjoyable)

Matthew Quick wrote Silver Linings Playbook, which was later adapted into a highly-enjoyable award winning film. I have to say I was really excited when I first saw this book and I couldn’t wait to read it. If you are fans of The Curious Incident in the Night Time by Mark Haddon, A Song for Issy Bradley by Carys Bray or The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion then it is likely you will enjoy this book.

The Good Luck of Right Now is the letters from the fictional Bartholomew Neil to Richard Gere. Bartholomew has recently lost his mother and in his letters, explains to Mr Gere what is happening in his life. His mother provided Bartholomew with a home and was his main source of social contact. Naturally, for someone so isolated it was a big upheaval in his life. It is a very endearing tale and is perfect for a lazy weekend.

"You are my confidant, Richard Gere, and I'm not about to share my pretending with anyone, because pretending often ends when you allow non pretenders access to the better safer worlds you create for yourself."

There aren’t really any themes per se to this book, although it does discuss bad luck and there are a few interesting facts. The characters are very well written. The story is engaging and I didn’t find myself bored. One aspect of the plot was predictable and it turned out Bartholomew himself has similar suspicions. Overall, this was an enjoyable read.

www.ashropshiregirl.blogspot.co.uk

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Luck of Right Now.

May 2, 2015 – Started Reading
May 2, 2015 – Shelved
May 2, 2015 –
25.0% "Really good so far, kind of Curious Incident meets A Song for Issy Bradley"
May 2, 2015 –