AH's Reviews > Terrifying Tales

Terrifying Tales by Jon Scieszka

liked it
bookshelves: anthology, arc-edelweiss, blue, young-adult, zzread-sept-2015

3.5 Terrifying stars....

I first learned of this series through a free download of Guys Read: Funny Business. My family listened to the audio version of the book on a road trip and we couldn't stop laughing at the gross stories geared to young boys. When Guys Read: Terrifying Tales was made available to me, I jumped at the chance to read and review the book.

The stories are perfect for young boys and reluctant readers. Most of the stories were short, some had the author's own opinions in boldface type warning the reader to stop reading (a sure-fire way to make most people continue on). The stories were written by well known writers and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout.

My favorite story was Manifest by Adele Griffin and Lisa Brown. I'd love to see that story expanded into a full novel.

Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for a review copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Terrifying Tales.

May 1, 2015 – Shelved
September 10, 2015 – Started Reading
page 1
0.35% "The Guys Read series is wonderful - the stories are just gross enough to keep kids reading and they usually keep me interested as well."
page 23
7.99% "Mr. Shocky by Micheal Buckley - Ever had an imaginary friend? They usually go away after a while. Not Mr. Shocky. Freaky good little story."
page 23
7.99% "Licorice Needles by Nikki Loftin - Old ladies can be really creepy - this one is a reading tutor who gets even."
page 39
13.54% "The Blue Bearded Bird Man by Adam Gidwitz -"
page 39
13.54% "A hilarious and scary take on the Bluebeard story, complete with the storyteller's comments. Fun!"
page 48
16.67% "Don't Eat the Baby by Kelly Barnhill gives new meaning to watch out what you wish for....especially when you get your wish - a brother with an enormous appetite."
page 66
22.92% "My Ghost Story by Dav Pikey - Comic book time."
page 67
23.26% "Marcos at the River - Daniel Jose Older - OK story."
page 74
25.69% "Placeholder for story by Rita Williams."
September 30, 2015 – Finished Reading