Rebekkah Koons's Reviews > Awoken

Awoken by Sarah Noffke

This is a book I have been wanting to read for awhile. I love anything to do with dreams, it's so fascinating how we can sleep and while we sleep, stories dance around in our head. First off, the cover is amazing, whoever picked it out made a brilliant decision. Once you read the whole book, the cover just really completes the whole story.
Now, onto the good stuff and boy, was there good stuff!! Noffke touched on a great idea of dream traveling. I once toyed with the idea of something similar but could never put anything together. She did and did it spectacularly! There are two kinds of readers when it comes to Roya, the main character. There are readers who think she's not as developed, too moody BLAH BLAH. Guess what? Roya is REALISTIC! I try to put myself in Roya's shoes and if the reader does so also, you'd probably react the same way to some situations Roya become involved in. It's like watching a television show of someone eating something gross and you think "Pfft, I can do that no problem" but when it's actually presented in front of you...not so easy. Roya is one of the most realistic characters in a book that I've read. She reacts how most people would and you can tell Noffke wasn't trying to control her character too much, she breathed life into her character thus some readers don't like Rory because in the real world, you don't like everyone. It's easy to make up a character everyone would love but it's so complicated to make one realistic and give that character it's own decisions and reaction, sometimes it can even make or break a good novel. You are truly a talented author when you can get outside yourself and create a character not based on how YOU would feel, but how THEY would feel. If Noffke didn't make Rory the way she did, I don't think I would have enjoyed the book as much so BRAVO! I'm not interested in romance so I don't really review those parts of a book. I save that for another reviewer. I care about the writing style, which is superb. I care about the characters and their interactions with each other, which make up the whole heart of the book. Last, I care about plot and not only is this a damn good put together plot, it's a book I'm going to read more than once! I have so many books to read that it takes something special for me to be able to reread a book and Noffke, you have something special here!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awoken.

Finished Reading