Kim's Reviews > High-Rise

High-Rise by J.G. Ballard

9912016
May 01, 2015

I listened to the Audiobook, read by Tom Hiddleston (Loki in "Avengers" and "Thor"). I've been impressed with his impersonations and mimicry in interviews. He did a wonderful job on the short stories of Ian Flemming, and since he's playing Dr. Robert Laing in "High-Rise", I thought his perspective and experience filming would make for an interesting interpretation of the main characters. Yeah... it was interesting alright.

I like Audio books for longer road trips. After I finished this book, I turned to the invisible person in the passenger seat next to me and said, louder than my usual speaking volume, "What the absolute fuck." Hiddleston's narration took a backseat to the story. This novel has made me immeasurably grateful for growing up on a farm away from people. This is a tale which demonstrates what a complete and total breakdown of social structure and any human progress would look like in an urban setting. Women turned into doormats (why was there little to no resistance?) and men became neanderthals, beating and dragging the women back to their caves. Where were people getting their money for food at the beginning of the breakdown? Why weren't the police called? Why weren't people leaving to go to their jobs? Why weren't people coming to visit and "rescuing" the individuals who had become feral? It was an interesting story, written with expert hands by Ballard, and delivered wonderfully by Hiddleston.

That being said, I'm still really freaking grateful for growing up on a farm with animals, and little contact with humans.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High-Rise.

May 1, 2015 – Started Reading