Terence's Reviews > Age of Iron

Age of Iron by Angus Watson

23206148

Read 2 times. Last read April 3, 2018 to April 8, 2018.

Dug Sealskinner is a simple man and mercenary looking for a steadier job. He's heading south to join up with King Zadar's massive army. On his way to join them he gets sidetracked by a battle that sounds simple, but changes everything. Dug finds himself traveling with an intelligent young girl in Spring along with Lowa, a woman who's seeking vengeance against Zadar for his betrayal.

Age of Iron was quite different from what I anticipated after seeing the cover and reading the description. I only expected a war hardened protagonist and battles galore, but the story is more than that. Age of Iron is quite humorous at times, touching at others, and sickeningly brutal at other times. I'm not generally a squeamish person when it comes to reading, but there were a few instances I thought I might be sick because of what I read.

Age of Iron is compared to Game of Thrones and Joe Abercombie's books in the description. I can't say I agree with the Game of Thrones comparison, but I would definitely say Age of Iron is like Abercrombie's First Law series. The only difference being Age of Iron has two completely likable protagonists in Dug and Spring. Dug while being a realist, is a genuinely good guy who would help when he has the chance. Spring is simply something else, but in the best way possible.

The story itself was a familiar one of revenge and fleeing. Lowa was one of Zadar's best warriors until Zadar sent the order to kill her and her archers. Zadar's men succeeded in killing her archers, but Lowa escaped and plans to find out why she was betrayed in addition to murdering Zadar. Lowa is largely cold-hearted which is understandable considering the circumstances.

Age of Iron was an enjoyable tale and I'm curious to see what's next for Dug, Spring, and the others.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Age of Iron.

Quotes Terence Liked

Angus Watson
“...a scare is always more effective than advice.”
Angus Watson, Age of Iron
tags: advice

Finished Reading
May 1, 2015 – Shelved
May 1, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 3, 2018 – Started Reading
April 3, 2018 –
6.0% "The story has been hijacked just when it started to get interesting."
April 3, 2018 –
13.0% "The book is somehow far more humorous and grimdark than I realized from the description."
April 6, 2018 –
65.0% "Not sure if everyone is arrogant or simply naive."
April 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Gavin Great review, Terence! I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I thought the series was a solid fantasy trilogy even if it was not a memorable one.

Terence Gavin wrote: "Great review, Terence! I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I thought the series was a solid fantasy trilogy even if it was not a memorable one."

Thanks Gavin. I was definitely surprised by Age of Iron. Hopefully I can read the next book soon.