Lyndsey's Reviews > Past Midnight

Past Midnight by Mara Purnhagen

Oct 18, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: to-read-maybe, reviewed-3-stars, reviewed-2011, song-reviews, about-ghosts, genre-young-adult
Read in February, 2011

The truth is that the paranormal is normal. It's just a normal that we don't understand yet.

So the main character of this book, Charlotte, composed a song and wanted me to sing it to you.

*cue Fresh Prince music*

Now this is the story of about how
My life got spooky turned inside out.
I'd like to take a minute - so sit right there.
And I'll tell you how I became the princess of Ghost-busters extraordinaire.

In deeply haunted houses where I was born and raised,
A ghost's playground was where I was filmed most of my days.
They chill you out, max you out, relax you - NOT. Cool.
So I tried shootin' some B-rolls and making friends at school.
When a couple of critics, who were up to no good, starting castin' doubts about my parenthood.
They said my parents shouldn't chase ghosts and I should be scared.
Then all the sudden I'm moving again to be a Ghost-buster extraordinaire.

I called to a ghost and something came near.
It felt like seeing the world through a fun house mirror.
If anything, I thought that this could be rare,
But I thought "Man, forget it. It must have been a glare."

I. Pulled. Up to new house and it must have been fated.
I yelled to my parents "New home smell! Who could hate it?!"

I looked at my kingdom and I was finally there
To sit on my throne as Ghost princess extraordinaire.

Da-da-da-DAA-DAA. Da-da-da-DAA-DAA.
_______________________________________

Okay, now that the cheesy song part is over.

Charlotte's parents are Ghost-chasing skeptics who film documentaries about strange phenomena that sometimes even they can't dispute. Charlotte tries to be normal but always ends up getting picked on, until they move and she becomes accepted in her new school. But they didn't move alone - some "energy" has followed Charlotte. She finally accepts her role as a ghost chaser and starts to unravel the mysteries that surround her.

This book really captivated me from the beginning and on through 'til the end. It was the first time in a long time that I have held my breath while reading. The first time in forever that both the imaginative and logical parts of brain have been forced to work in tandem.

A lot of talk about "energy" and such. But I thought it was incredibly interesting. The author did a great job of including a mix of the science and the fantasy.

It does kind of go along with the whole ghosts-only-care-about-love-and-relationships thing there for a while. That always makes me curious about the uh, limitations, of ghosts:

[image error]
What is that on your head? Do I even want to know what it's used for?!

But if you really need the answer to that - watch the movie Ghost. Because there is no hokey "pokey" going on in this book. No romance as of yet.

Short and fun. Mysterious and easy to feel for characters. I just wish that the entire book held the same suspense that the beginning did.

Rating: A steady 3.5 stars!

I am very much looking forward to reading more from this author! And maybe some ghostly lovin'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Past Midnight.

message 1: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio Poor Will Smith; he must have gotten beat up a lot when he was younger. That must be the gayest facial expression ever.

Also, I'm pretty sure that ghost is in some federal sex offender registry. You just can tell from the creepy eyes.

message 2: by Rane (new)

Rane BWHAHAHA! Awesome Review Lyndsey! *hums to Fresh Prince song*

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ Lolol ah Lindsey somewhere Will Smith is doing voo doo spells on you hahahaa
You're a Riot!
and Chichipio I'm checking the listing right Now!

Lyndsey Awwww, Will Smith is adorable! And totally doable, too. As is the ghost, uh I think. Not that I would know. *blushes* Hahaha!!

Thanks Rane! Ever since I thought of the song, it's been stuck in my head... Glad to bring it to the rest of Goodreads. :-)

message 5: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Love the review! But if that song stays stuck in my head while reading this book... I'll giggle... then kick your ass... then probably giggle some more :)

Lyndsey LOL Megan. Yay for giggling!!

message 7: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Yay for 1980's Will Smith!! :)

Lyndsey Yes, Will is sexy. Just look at that outfit!! Yea-ah!

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) HAHAH oh man, this is great.

message 10: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Only he can look so hot in such stupid clothes!

Lyndsey Yeah really. Is that actually a Jamaican silk shirt with overalls?!

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Goodreads needs a "like" button so I can like Megan's comment!

message 13: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan And remember, Will was the cool one, lol!

message 14: by Megan (last edited Feb 22, 2011 05:23PM) (new) - added it

Megan Then again, it was more than just his fashion sense that made Carlton un-hip ;)

description

Lyndsey Hahaha! I love doing the "Carlton"! That sounds wrong but you know what I mean. I hope.

message 16: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Whichever way you mean it, it's funny :)

Erica (daydreamer) Ha, that was fantastic! Thanks for the laugh.

Danny Looool Awesome Review!!!! *giggles*

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim Thank you. My day will be so much more interesting while humming the FP intro. ;)

Jessica Seriously Lynds, how do you always come up with this kind of stuff? That song? ROFL!

Love the review! :)

message 21: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F HAHAHAHA

Great review.

*sings* It not unusual...

Lyndsey Thanks Ladies! Now I'm having major Fresh Prince cravings...

Good thing the reruns are on like ALL the time. LOL. Seriously, at any one point in time, that show is on somewhere.

message 23: by Dinjolina (new)

Dinjolina Weird...person in a third world country here-just saw it a minute ago on tv. :D

Lyndsey Exactly what I mean. Will Smith is everywhere! ;-)

message 25: by Dinjolina (new)

Dinjolina :looks under her bed:
:frowns:
Darn!Not there! :D

message 26: by Lyndsey (last edited Feb 23, 2011 05:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyndsey LOL

What tha? I don't remember that movie!! Is he in everything?

message 27: by Dinjolina (new)

Dinjolina Hahahahaha....omg....
I love my goodreads friends!
You keep me from ending up in not-so-happy tears over Darkest Mercy.
It really bummered my day.

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ LMAO Lyndsey LMAO I can't breathe from all the laughing!

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ He's still hot...he can be my fresh prince anytime....those ears are good for grabbing when......

message 30: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio …you're playing charades?

Am I a mind reader or what?

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ LMAO! Yes! Charades!
Man you're good!

message 32: by Lyndsey (last edited Feb 23, 2011 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyndsey LMAO! Well, you know what it means when a man has big ears, right?

Really really big headphones!

message 33: by Kim (new)

Kim His lips look ridiculously large.

Lyndsey Hahaha! That's what you notice? Lol. I think it's called the "fish face effect".

message 35: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio Hmm… Ms. Pac-man looks way hotter than I remember her.

message 36: by Lyndsey (last edited Feb 24, 2011 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyndsey I do so believe you need to brush up on your Pacman mythology, M' Lord. (And no, I'm not really sure why I suddenly turned into a "lady of the court")

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim *snorts*

Lady.

Sure.

Lyndsey What ever do you mean?! I'm completely dignified. See...

message 39: by Kim (new)

Kim 5 minutes later.

[image error]

Lyndsey LMAO - Wow. Devious! The creepy part is that the body is extremely fake looking, yet the head is real. Talk about weird...

message 41: by Kim (new)

Kim Well, you are the one who picked Marie Antoinette ;)

I just keep thinking "imagine having to stand like that at a Halloween party all night".

Lyndsey Hahahaha! Actually, I imagine she's kneeling. A position that Marie may not be too unfamiliar with, LOL.

message 43: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F Zing! Take that Kirsten Dunst!

message 44: by Kim (new)

Kim Lol, Morgan =D

Lyndsey Hahaha! Believe it or not, I never actually saw the Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst in it. Not sure if that's fortunate or unfortunate.

message 46: by Griffin (new)

Griffin I have no interest in this book.

I just keep returning to this review for the sweet Fresh Prince nostalgia feeling. AAHHHHH!

Lyndsey Hahaha! No need to explain yourself. Fresh Prince just has that effect on people, I think. ;-)

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) I really liked this book lol But i have a thing for ghosts haha

Lyndsey Ghosts are sexy! Patrick Swayze in Ghost, Devon Sawa in Casper. *fans self* LOL I plan on reading the sequel soon. Have you read it, yet?

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) nope but I'm ordering it as soon as i get paid today!!

« previous 1