Brittany (Nice Girls Read Books)'s Reviews > Guardian of the Gate

Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink

Oct 18, 2010

bookshelves: favorites, best-in-2011, series-finished-reviewed
Read from December 22, 2010 to January 26, 2011

An incredible follow up to Prophecy of the Sisters! I think I liked this one better! It just missed the mark of gaining a 5 star rating from me and if I were able, I’d award it a 4.5! I have such high hopes for the third installment!

First of all; the models on these covers are so incredibly gorgeous! The covers are mature yet appeal to teen readers as well. The girls are exactly how I picture Alice and Lia! I can’t wait to see the artwork for the third novel when it’s released.

Pressing on to the story; wow. The whole period in Altus was my favourite part of the book. The place is magical and serene, and I couldn’t have picked a more suited place for the Sisters and the Grigori to ‘live’ in peace. With Altus comes the introduction of Dimitri, who I quickly fell in love with. You may recall in my review of Prophecy of the Sisters how there was a lack of ‘romance’ in that story, even though Lia had her beau, James. Well, this one turns that right on its heels. I’m so very fond of Lia and Dimitri’s relationship.

That being said, I’m very much interested in seeing how it all unfolds. How will she deal with her feelings for both boys when the time comes? How will Dimitri (or James for that matter) react when they find out that Lia holds a place in her heart for someone else, too?

Lia herself has grown up a whole lot. I found her a much enjoyable narrator and heroine than I did in Prophecy of the Sisters. She is strong, eager to learn, smart when it comes to her priorities and a firm friend. I also didn’t realize how attached I was to the secondary characters until (spoiler warning) Sonia’s betrayal was unveiled. I was gutted, to put it lightly. I really thought Luisa would be easier to manipulate, but it seems that wasn’t the case.

We get to see a whole lot of Luisia in Sonia’s absence and this is a very good thing. Luisa is high-spirited, humerous and I enjoyed all her page time. In the first book I had little attachment to her, but now I find I’m quite fond of her. I really think this was a crafty move made my Michelle Zink and I love how she’s managed to acquaint ourselves individually with her characters.

I’m still not entirely sure just what happened with the discovery of the pages (page?) and that it seemed too simple after the supposed plans Lady Abigail had made for a long and secret journey. It did create great suspense, however. I also enjoyed the first guide, Gareth. I’d like to see him come back and I have an inkling he just might.

All in all, I cannot wait for the next addition! It’s untitled at the moment (I just had a peek on Michelle Zink’s official site) but I will be marking my calendar as soon as I stumble upon a release date. I’m not sure how many books there are to be in this series, but I really like the way it’s playing out, even if it is quite slow compared to others.

There is something just missing that I can’t quite put my finger on in regards to not awarding either book a full 5 star rating. As mentioned, I devoured this one much quicker and found it more enjoyable than the first, but as I do most of my reading in bed while incredibly tired, I think it has something to do with the historical-era prose.

Although I adore a well-written historical book (and this is definitely one of them!) I often find my mind battles with me to continue more often than not. Instead of continuing without question, I often have to chant to myself ‘one more chapter, one more chapter‘ to get a good amount of reading done. This has absolutely nothing to do with a fault on Michelle Zink’s part, it’s a simple personal quirk!

Recommended to: Fans of Prophecy of the Sisters will be extremely pleased to continue on with the story!b

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Gate.

01/26/2011 page 214
63.0% "Altus is amazing - and the relationship between Lia and Dimitri!"