Laura's Reviews > Nobody's Fool

Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo

F 50x66
May 17, 2007

A few chapters into this book, I realized with joy that I had found a new author whose works I would enjoy tremendously. "Please let this not be his only book," I thought, and I was not disappointed.

Once again, I find that it is the characters, more than plot or writing style, that make this one of my favorite books. (The plot and style are great too, though.) Unusual, lovable, flawed, and most of all hilariously WITTY!

Maybe because it was my first Russo, this remains my favorite of his novels, but the others are still very good reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody's Fool.

Started Reading
January 1, 2005 – Finished Reading
May 17, 2007 – Shelved

message 1: by Steve (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steve Russo is a personal favorite of mine, too. He's so good at drawing quirky, believable characters and has such great insight into human behavior. I like his sense of humor, too.

Mohawk, The Risk Pool, and Straight Man are stellar, as well, if you're looking to add to your list.

Thanks for including the little capsule reviews. It helps when a guy like me is looking for recommendations--I can troll for fans of great authors like Russo.

message 2: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Thanks! That inspires me to catch up on reviews of the 3 books I've read this summer (although I doubt Harry Potter needs another review). If you love quirky characters and humor, run out and get Lonesome Dove, if you haven't already. I cannot recommend it enough.

message 3: by Steve (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steve Though it was a long while ago, I did read (and love) Lonesome Dove. Gus has to be one of the greatest characters in all of fiction.

We must correlate well for that to be one of your top picks.

Renata I agree! My husband and I still haven't forgiven McMurty for killing off Gus, though. But then, I love the man for the many books he did write so well...whether they were the big ones like Lonesome Dove or the smaller ones like Cadillac Rose.

Deborah Laura, I've read all of Russo's novels and agree that Nobody's Fool is his best.