Katherine Coble's Reviews > Gardens of the Moon

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf
Read 2 times. Last read October 1, 2021 to October 7, 2021.

Update:
This has been my THIRD try. No, I did not finish, but I made it a _considerable_ way (several hundred pages).
I think the people who love these are more into magic systems and dramatic battles. That’s a fine thing—you love what you love and you like what you like. Me personally? I’m more into characters. I NEED somebody I can hang my hat on or else the battles have no sense of consequence and the magic is just three card monte. I LOVE world-building. But I just can’t find an interest in this world.
I have no trouble following a large cast of characters—as long as I can tell them apart. And in these books that’s a big NO. Every character sounds the same, so interpersonal scenes are odd to read. The dialog sounds like one person talking to themselves.

Maybe in another decade I’ll become curious again and try for a fourth time. Or maybe I’ll consign Erickson to the Sanderson/Wight slush pile.

Mama tried.

This reminds me of Superman vs Batman (or batman vs superman--whatever that movie was called.) Like that movie (that I didn't enjoy) this book is not so much a _story_ as it is a bunch of scenes set in this universe. It's like a trailer for the real book.
Which is not a good thing when it's a book three times the size of other books. There should be a story. There should be characters you care about.

Here's the thing. The book opens with a scene of a person standing on a castle wall. There is a paragraph (no joke) describing a weather vane. There is NOTHING beyond his one-word name that describes the character. That's the way this book operates. He's trying to seduce you with a coolnifty universe but gives you nobody to CARE about.

I just can't keep pushing through this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gardens of the Moon.

October 17, 2010 – Shelved
July 4, 2017 – Started Reading
July 5, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf
July 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 1, 2021 – Started Reading
October 7, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick Borrelli I am not a fan of this book either. Not only does he give you nobody to care about but the cast of characters is so large that I felt overwhelmed with who everyone was and what factions they belonged to. There's such a thing as being too ambitious as an author.