Ellen's Reviews > Keeper: One House, Three Generations, and a Journey into Alzheimer's

Keeper by Andrea Gillies

F 50x66
Oct 17, 2010

liked it

This is one of the most painful books I've read. Andrea Gillies writes about her in-laws old age and her mother-in-law's falling away from Alzheimer's. Ms. Gillies also writes rather well about the science of the brain and the philosophy of the mind. Her comparisons between the UK system of eldercare and medicine and that of the USA are frustrating and scary. No matter where you live in either country, dementia costs the patient their identity and their family's lose piece of mind, friends and money. No one is spared. My father-in-law died relatively quickly after his diagnosis of Alzheimers. My father took rather longer to die with another form of dementia brought on by numerous small strokes. Gillies' book is sad and not very hopeful. If it had been more hopeful, I would have given it more stars. As it is, the number of people who will be diagnosed with some form of dementia is like an approaching tsunami and no one really seems to be sounding the alarm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeper.