Dan Schwent's Reviews > Fungus of the Heart

Fungus of the Heart by Jeremy C. Shipp

liked it
bookshelves: freebies-for-reviewing, 2010, bizarro, i-hate-short-stories

Once again, I wrestle with the dilemma of trying to review a collection of short stories. Should I talk about The Sun Never Rises in the Big City, a bizzaro detective story about a detective and the search for the killer of his rag? Or The Haunted House, about a ghost struggling with its identity and trying to help a girl? Or the title story that starts with a man chasing a homicidal jester through a forest for killing his warthog? Or the fairy tale-eque The Boy in the Cabinet?

Fungus of the Heart is a collection of bizarre tales by Jeremy C. Shipp. While on the surface the only thing the tales have in common is their strangeness, a deeper look reveals that they're all about relationships. Relationships between a detective and his woman with a detonater inside her, a boy who lives in a cabinet and his cup with a smile drawn on it, or a gnome and her oposition to a war against goblins. The tone of the stories ranges from darkly humorous to creepy as hell. Many of them are so strange they have a dreamlike quality.

If you're in the mood for something different, give Fungus of the Heart a try. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fungus of the Heart.

October 17, 2010 – Shelved
October 18, 2010 – Finished Reading
December 14, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
April 13, 2011 – Shelved as: bizarro
October 5, 2012 – Shelved as: i-hate-short-stories

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Barron I have heard that this author is good and just happened to stumble across your review. Has he written anything else you would recommend?

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent He's written some other things but this is the only work of his that I've read.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Barron Ah, I will look into the others.