Sophia's Reviews > Snowy River Man

Snowy River Man by Lizzy Chandler

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, net-galley-reads

It was the title...le sigh. Ever since a certain movie released and had such sweeping scenery, music, and storyline, I have been enchanted by this region of Australia and the rugged life there. I didn't even give the blurb more than a glance which as many know, this is so unlike me. Thus, I wasn't sure what to expect, but still ended up with an interesting light romantic suspense and a brooding second chance romance that kept me reading through one sitting.

The story opens with Jack and his son at the rodeo. Jack takes his ride and discovers Nick missing. It turns into a desperate all-out search for a child. Jack is frantic. He loves his son and fears. Into this atmosphere walks a woman from his past. The sight of her makes him angry and her claim to have a psychic ability that allows her to find Nick is the only thing that keeps him from driving her away. What does she want from him? If its what he thinks it is...but no, not that. But, through his anger and fear, the attraction is still there.

Katrina has visions that lead her to lost children and she has worked with the police before, but this time it is the hardest decision she has ever made to involve herself. Jack broke her heart and now she has a vision of his son. He is hostile and she can't figure out what he has to be angry at her over. Then after a few encounters, he suddenly changes his mind. He wants her to stay and help with Nick, he wants to know what she remembers of the past and wants to know about her gift. She senses something momentous coming and even if instinct tells her to run, her heart wants to find out if there is still a chance.

This story is a contemporary romance with suspense and paranormal elements. The setting of the horse ranch is well drawn and definitely a plus. It is told in alternating view points between Jack and Katrina. The reader is privy to so much more than the characters as a result because the story is a journey of two people who have to unwind the deceptions and misconceptions of the past if they are to have any peace with their future. They are both equal victims to someone else's machinations, but that doesn't change the impact of the consequences falling on them. I think that is what really drew me in.

The suspenseful story plot is full of red herrings and a few possibilities for what is going on. Was Nick in danger from someone? Who let the stallion go and is undercutting Jack's bid for the proposal? Is the old man living on the property innocent? What of Jack's wife's family? So many things swirling to keep the reader guessing.

Then the romance. It was hard and would get worse before it could get better because of all the things from the past. Jack has the dilemma of what to do with the knowledge when he learns the horrible truth. He has to protect his son, but what of Katrina? He hurt her once and the truth- though none of that was his fault- will likely devastate her. He doesn't want to lost this tentative second chance, but he knows he will and it already hurts.

All in all, it was a good story. I was engaged in it from the beginning and didn't want to stop reading. The ending is rushed though it is complete. It doesn't promise more than it should based on where things are left. I would recommend it for those who like their romance on the sweeter end, who like mild suspense, and don't mind the psychic element.

My thanks to Net Galley for the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snowy River Man.

April 29, 2015 – Started Reading