Jennifer Estep's Reviews > Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor

3197948
Oct 17, 2010

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read in October, 2010

Fin­ished Christ­mas Eve at Fri­day Har­bor by Lisa Kley­pas. This is the first book in her new con­tem­po­rary romance series.

When bach­e­lor Mark Nolan’s sis­ter dies in a car acci­dent, he’s left to raise her 6-year-old daugh­ter, Holly. Mark knows noth­ing about kids, but he’s deter­mined to be the best par­ent he can to Holly. Trau­ma­tized by her mother’s death, Holly refuses to speak – until she enters the whim­si­cal toy shop of widow Mag­gie Collins. Mag­gie lost her hus­band to can­cer, so she under­stands Holly’s loss all too well and imme­di­ately bonds with the heart­bro­ken lit­tle girl.

Sparks inevitably fly between Mark and Mag­gie, espe­cially dur­ing a ferry ride from Fri­day Har­bor to the Wash­ing­ton state main­land, but nei­ther one is look­ing for a seri­ous rela­tion­ship. Mark has Holly to raise, in addi­tion to dat­ing another woman, and Mag­gie is wary of risk­ing her heart again after her husband’s death.

But as the sea­sons change and the hol­i­days roll around, Mark, Mag­gie, and Holly start spend­ing more and more time together – and every­one starts wish­ing for a Christ­mas mir­a­cle that will heal all their wounded hearts.

I love Kley­pas’ pre­vi­ous con­tem­po­rary romance about the lives and loves of the Travis fam­ily in Texas, so I’ve been look­ing for­ward to this book all year long. Over­all, it was a solid romance read. Kley­pas is a mas­ter at cre­at­ing char­ac­ters that the reader will care about, and I loved the Pacific North­west set­ting. Also, this is a sweet hol­i­day story that’s not too cute or too contrived.

How­ever, I didn’t adore this one as much as I have her Travis books. I’m not sure why — maybe because this is writ­ten in third per­son and the Travis books are all first per­son. I just felt like the Travis books just had more of every­thing — more romance, more tough deci­sions for the char­ac­ters, more great sec­ondary char­ac­ters, more emo­tion. Also, I will warn you that this book is short — a lit­tle more than 200 pages — but it’s a hard­cover with a $16.99 price tag. I bought mine at Ama­zon because they had a good sale price on it.

Over­all, though, if you’re look­ing for a quick hol­i­day read, you should check this one out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jennifer Estep That's true. I think I'd go broke buying books if I lived overseas. LOL. Glad you liked the review.