Carly's Reviews > How It Was Supposed To Be

How It Was Supposed To Be by Jayson James

it was ok

This one just didn't do it for me. It was long and full of details, but seemed to jump back and forth between the main character's home life and friendships rather than flow seamlessly. I felt a bit like I was reading a series of short installments rather than a full length novel.

I felt for Reese and his family as they experienced the loss of his father's job and the changes that ensued, but was frustrated with the immature way that his parents responded to the situation. Their poor choices made a bad situation much worse than it had to be. The light at the end of the tunnel for Reese is supposed to be his friendship with two of the gayest straight characters I've ever read and his boyfriend. Unfortunately, Chaz and Reese get off to a rocky start and don't ever really pick up steam. There just isn't enough chemistry between them to act as a counter balance to Reese's depressing home life and financial worries.

HOW IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE could have been a true-to-life portrayal had it been executed a little differently, but as is I ended up feeling like I was chugging through to the ending rather than being swept away.

OFFICIAL REVIEW written for Carly’s Book Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How It Was Supposed To Be.

Started Reading