Hueyyun's Reviews > Uzumaki, Vol. 3

Uzumaki, Vol. 3 by Junji Ito

2008693
Oct 16, 2010

bookshelves: comics

One of the scariest shit I ever read. I had nightmares for a week, and this manga only amplified my fear of snails. I think the creep factor of this manga is not the mangaka's grotesque drawing but the psychological underlying and sublime fear residing underneath all that madness. It feels like the mangaka is questioning and exploring the darker side to human nature. And even though the story is horrifyingly grotesque and frightening, the madness and the obsession each character and the town has over spirals (yes, Uzumaki is a japanese word for Spiral), I think the true fear and question one really has to ask, "Why the hell are you still reading this when you are so scared shitless?"

The characters are obsessed and spiral is used as an extended metaphor and imagery to illustrate the darker side of human obsession. The spiral never ends, it twirls and spirals into a whirlwind, like human obsession, once you become obsessed, you are truly stuck. This begins the spiral breakdown of human nature, depression and obsession.

Likewise, once you open this book, somehow for some inexplicable reason, even though you are scared shitless, you still continue to read it. It's like a spiral, once you open this book, you will never stop reading it unless you reach the end (an assumption).

Thus the real question is, "Why are you not putting the book away?"
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uzumaki, Vol. 3.