Leah's Reviews > Come, Ye Children: A Bible Storybook for Young Children

Come, Ye Children by Gertrude Hoeksema

19293522
Apr 27, 2015

YAY! I finally finished this great story book with my children. I began reading it before my second son was born. Some days I thought I'd never finish it ;). Well here we are at completion.

Several things I enjoyed about this book, chief among them is the fact that this particular bible story book did NOT have images of Jesus! That's my biggest issue with almost all Christian children's books with bible stories... Even reformed ones. There were times you just saw the back of a man or an outline, but nothing so explicit. So bravo bravo, with that major accomplishment it is the reason this book gets 5 stars!

There were a few stories (such as the wives of Jacob, or Esther) which I didn't like their interpretation. With Esther it was particularly bad.

I found it interesting they chose to end the book at Pauls ending of his life and ministry, as opposed to tackling the beast in revelation (lol!), but considering how varied and controversial eschatology is these days I can understand that.

Another interesting point is the straight forwardness of baptism. They did not add any insight or try to express the mode of baptism. They mostly just used scriptural language of whole household baptisms and just that people (like the eunuch) were baptized. So a book that would fit into either a baptist reading or covenantal reading.

They also had a short "remember" section at the conclusion of each story, breaking it down to a child how to remember the truths conveyed.

This is a book loaned to me by my in laws, and now it is on my wish list to buy one day. It sure is fantastic to have a lending library in the family, haha.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come, Ye Children.

April 27, 2015 – Started Reading