Susan in NC's Reviews > Where Shadows Dance

Where Shadows Dance by C.S. Harris

Oct 16, 2010

I really enjoyed this entry into a series that is getting better and better; the only reason I didn't give 5 stars was because I felt the ending felt rushed and bogged down in almost incomprehensible diplomatic intrigues and alliances. A young diplomat dies of natural causes in his sleep, but a secret autopsy (carried out by St. Cyr's surgeon friend Paul Gibson) reveals that a stiletto driven through the base of the man's skull was the actual cause of death. St. Cyr agrees to investigate, but for obvious reasons (the corpse was obtained through the dreaded "Resurrection Men" that illegally supplied corpses to anatomists) he must tread carefully.

The diplomatic maneuverings surrounding the young diplomat's death seemed murky at best throughout much of the novel, but it did serve to drive the action forward as St. Cyr had to keep going back and forth between suspects to try and sort out the lies and red herrings. Harris seems to be an expert in the field and gives us a fascinating glimpse of the increasingly complex relationships between nation-states at the time (1812), which would evolve into the high-stakes "Great Game" of spies, intrigues and machinations between major colonial powers by the end of the century. But for those of us waiting for St. Cyr to deal with personal issues and "get on with it" (Kat Boleyn and Hero Jarvis, in that order), Harris delivers satisfaction and hope for promising developments in future books (albeit a bit too briefly in the case of Hero). Let's hope for more of her in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Shadows Dance.