Liza Perrat's Reviews > Cathedral of the Sea

Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones

Read 2 times

Set in 14th century Barcelona, around the building of the magnificent Santa Maria del Mar––Cathedral of the Sea––in the Ribera district, I really enjoyed this book.
The main character, Arnau Estanyol is the son of a fugitive peasant who starts out as a lowly porter, carrying stones for the building of this cathedral. Arnau’s luck turns when King Pedro makes him a baron as a reward for his courage in battle. But the king also forces him to marry Eleonor, one of his wards, with who Arnau is not in love. His new-found social status and riches incite jealousy from those around him, who set about bringing Arnau down, all with terrible consequences.
Arnau's journey from slave to nobleman is the story of a struggle of good versus evil, Church versus State and brother versus brother.
I was impressed with Falcones’ knowledge of 14th century traditions, commerce and culture and his detailed research shines though in this rich and fascinating portrait of medieval society.
An epic tale of war, love, treason, plague, anti-Semitism and the Inquisition, I would recommend this to readers enjoying historical fiction of this era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cathedral of the Sea.

Finished Reading
February 11, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
February 11, 2015 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
March 1, 2015 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
March 25, 2015 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
April 27, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Raymond Walton (new)

Raymond Walton I'm sure you have read "Pillars of the Earth" . Great read.

Liza Perrat Raymond Walton wrote: "I'm sure you have read "Pillars of the Earth" . Great read."

Hi Raymond, oh yes and I loved it... also loved World Without End. Have you read that one?