Melissa (Ever So Mela)'s Reviews > Sincerely, Carter

Sincerely, Carter by Whitney G.

Apr 27, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: na-romance, new-adult, friends-to-lovers

"How the boy with itchy hair and gangly height from fourth grade had grown into the dominant and sexy man sitting next to me, I’d never know… "

Such an amazing beginning! I don't know about you guys but anything that covers fake relationships, roommates, boy next door, enemies to lovers, and best friends to lovers(I think I mentioned every existent trope) is a definite buy for me. I adore these tropes. Seriously, the tension drives me up the wall in the best possible way.

The banter was fun and the letters adorable. I rally appreciated the time sequence and the distinct POVs. The creativity was fun and I hadn't read anything like it (I'm not referring to it story wise) before.

Carter was unbelievably hot as was everything that came out of his mouth. He made me laugh out loud countless times and swoon an even greater deal. He had a dry humor(which is the best kind) that kills me and I couldn't help but fall for him.

Then there's the other half, Arizona. She's kind of that little girl we all have inside, waiting for her one true love with sparks and fireworks. I guess what I loved most about her was that even with that fairytale notion she didn't have that innocent role that lately all female leads seem to have, nor was she sleeping with every guy in sight. I think she was a perfect balance between sexy and innocent (but I did just say she wasn't all that innocent...oh well).

So if everything sounds so fun why am I giving it 3 stars?
It was lacking

Their transition or realization of attraction was just way past ridiculous. We never got an inkling to anything and then all of a sudden BAM they find each other sexy as hell. It felt forced and unrealistic and sadly it just took away so much from the story. There was never any tension, any build-up, and when the moment came I was left underwhelmed. And completely disappointed.

It also ended all of a sudden. I needed more of them towards the end. At least some kind of epilogue. I don't know, something that would have left me satisfied.

And to be honest, at times I was bored outta my mind. I felt it dragged where it should have been rushed and was rushed in places that needed to be lengthened. But maybe that's just me.

2.75
I feel ridiculous with this rating(hence it being all the way down here) but I can't bring myself to give it a full 3 stars and yet it's not a 2.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sincerely, Carter.

April 27, 2015 – Shelved
April 27, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 2, 2015 – Started Reading
May 2, 2015 –
page 13
5.28% "I'm laughing so hard and I've only read 13 pages."
May 3, 2015 –
47.0% "LMAO!!!"
May 3, 2015 –
May 3, 2015 – Shelved as: na-romance
May 3, 2015 – Shelved as: new-adult
May 3, 2015 – Finished Reading
June 5, 2015 – Shelved as: friends-to-lovers

message 1: by Camly (new)

Camly Nguyen Please excuse my randomness.Just wanted to mention that the guy on the cover is hot. Ok, I can leave now.

Melissa (Ever So Mela) lol Can I be honest and admit I looked into this book because of the cover :P Covers are my weakness girl and you are 100% correct. Dude is hot!

Beverly Great review, Melissa!

Melissa (Ever So Mela) Beverly wrote: "Great review, Melissa!"

Thanks Beverly. Glad you loved it!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Very well thought out review, Melissa.^^

Didi Great review Melissa :)

Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘ Awesome review, Melissa :)! Sorry the book was a bust (lacking) :/

Melissa (Ever So Mela) Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘ wrote: "Awesome review, Melissa :)! Sorry the book was a bust (lacking) :/"

Didi wrote: "Great review Melissa :)"

Thanks girlies <3

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

completely agree on all fronts

Melissa (Ever So Mela) Kat Stark wrote: "completely agree on all fronts"

I just noticed this is the same author from doubt Reasonable Doubt series. Kinda excited to finish it now since I already read the first book.

message 12: by sue (new)

sue Going by your review, I'll just cut off the guy on the cover then Mel *wink*

message 13: by Melissa (Ever So Mela) (last edited May 04, 2015 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melissa (Ever So Mela) hehe Great idea Sue :P

Geri Reads Fab review, Melissa!

Melissa (Ever So Mela) ♥~♥Geri ~ the HEA junkie ♥~♥ wrote: "Fab review, Melissa!"

Thanks G <3 Glad you loved it too ^.^

message 16: by Uvi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Uvi This is the second book I’ve read by this author. In both books the transition from like to love is way too awkward. One second they are just friends (for 20 years!!) the next second they fall in love with each other in the same exact moment? Umm what??? For that to happen there has to be some build up, maybe some impure thoughts here and there, maybe some cuddle moments where they slowly realize internally that they might like each other.... I also can not stand it when authors (especially female authors) write non MC female characters as whores, sluts, and bitches. It’s so degrading. Just because a female doesn’t have a main role doesn’t mean she is bad and we the reads must hate them all. It turns me off as a reader and it makes me dislike the female MC. And finally, finally, why is it ok for a male character to discuss his gf intimate details with his friends (male or female). Real men don’t kiss and tell. I am DNFing at 45%