Grumpus's Reviews > Syncing Forward

Syncing Forward by W.  Lawrence

liked it
bookshelves: free-copy, fiction

First off, for full disclosure, I won this book from the author through a contest run through the Time Travel group here on Goodreads. The author posed the following question to the group “What will be the top headline or news story for March 1, 2035? The best answer wins. My winning response was, The end of disease and eternal youth now comes with risk—loss of free will. Who is hacking the health robots in our bloodstreams forcing people to do the will of those now controlling these formerly benign health-bots? I was very excited and grateful to have been chosen to win the autographed copy of the book and a watch! I also feel strongly that in winning any giveaway, although not required, you owe it to the author to give an honest opinion.

That background stated, I’ll move on to my thoughts (in order of strength of opinion). The book is promoted by asking the question, “Would you ever travel forward in time if you knew it would be a one-way trip?” This teaser intrigued me and I was excited to read how that might work. (view spoiler). Because of this I feel I cannot even shelve this as “time travel”.

Goodreaders who know me know that I’m a clear-cut ending guy. I always refer to the movie, Field of Dreams. I didn’t get that ending. Please don’t leave it to me to interpret. I don’t know if it is my introverted nature, thought process or what, but I don’t like to have my invested time (whether book or movie) left unresolved. For most people this does not seem to be an issue. So, don’t let this be a huge detractor for you.

On the positive side, I thought the writing was excellent and the future events described chilling, and more disturbingly, plausible. The likability of the story followed an inverted bell curve. It did not take long to be sucked into the story but tailed off during the middle. It didn’t seem like much was happening during that time and was too drawn out for my liking. The ending however, picked back up to earlier levels and I could not wait to find out how it would all wrap up. (view spoiler).

The best and most poignant part of the book was his relationship with his daughters. I have two of my own and I could truly connect with the protagonist in terms of his relationship with them. In summary, the positives and negatives cancel each other out and that is the rationale for my 3-star I “liked it” rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Syncing Forward.

April 27, 2015 – Started Reading
April 27, 2015 – Shelved
May 7, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 8, 2015 – Shelved as: free-copy
May 13, 2015 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by John (new)

John Particularly well-written, and gives a good idea of what to expect.

Grumpus Thanks John.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Great review, Grumpus! I think you provided a good mix of what worked for you in the story and what didn't. Anyone reading your review who prefers stories to be neatly wrapped up in an ending will know that this story doesn't provide that!! The premise of this book really sounds fascinating ; but honestly, all of the futuristic/dystopian books I've read in the past few years have seemed way too plausible to me and I have become very hesitant to read more of them!! Excellent job!

Grumpus Thanks Darlene. I used to think of the future in terms of positive possibilities but given the state of world events today, I tend to have a negative view of the future. The problems facing the world today seem insurmountable. I'm usually an optimist on day-to-day things but longer term, call me Grumpessimist.

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Hmmmm… so is 'Grumpessimist' an OFFICIAL name change? :) I know what you're saying and that's pretty much what I meant by my comment. I know how you feel. Problems DO seem to be insurmountable… especially when it can sometimes seem like people can't even agree on what the problems actually ARE!! Plus, the lack of civility and respect towards others really bothers me too and seems like it only makes problems worse. I felt that way when reading the comment on your review of the McCullough book last week. :( But I still remain hopeful. Perhaps there are enough of us who can acknowledge and respect our differences but still wish to solve the pressing problems of the world.

message 6: by Arminius (new)

Arminius Grumpessimist for your long term name and Grumpoptomist for your short term name. Grumpus one thing I can say is that history books never leave and unresolved answer.

Grumpus LOL. Grumpoptimist, I like it! I never made that connection as to my love of history and I totally agree with you.

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Oh, that is a great answer to the question!