Brenda's Reviews > Outback Midwife

Outback Midwife by Beth McRae

bookshelves: 2015-release, aussie-authors, memoir, arc, net-galley, own-read, read-on-kindle

I had the great pleasure to meet Aussie author Beth McRae at a recent event for the launch of her book Outback Midwife. She was a very interesting speaker and created a long question and answer time with her stories about her life. So I was keen to read the book and I haven’t been disappointed.

Outback Midwife kept me interested from the very first page, where we learn about Beth’s life with her strict parents in rural Victoria and the closeness she shared with her sister Faye. As Beth became a teenager the thought of nursing was what started her life caring for the sick. It was during her training years that she discovered a love of babies and the maternity section of the hospital she was working in. Her mentor suggested she study midwifery; Beth didn’t look back from that time onwards.

Beth is currently working and delivering babies for Aboriginal women in Arnhem Land with her husband Ian by her side – she is a grandmother now herself and in June 2015 her five year contract finishes. She is looking forward to returning home to see her grandchildren grow but is sure she won’t be retiring just yet! Beth’s memoir is an interesting one, telling many funny and also sad anecdotes of different times throughout her forty years as a midwife.

I have no hesitation in recommending Outback Midwife highly.

With thanks to NetGalley and Random House Australia for my copy to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outback Midwife.

April 27, 2015 – Shelved
May 4, 2015 – Shelved as: arc
May 4, 2015 – Shelved as: net-galley
May 20, 2015 – Started Reading
May 21, 2015 –
43.0% "Really enjoying this!"
May 21, 2015 – Shelved as: own-read
May 21, 2015 – Shelved as: read-on-kindle
May 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Sounds like a fascinating memoir!

Brenda It was - she is such an interesting lady and she's had an amazing life:)