C.G. Drews's Reviews > Delicate Monsters

Delicate Monsters by Stephanie Kuehn

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2018, young-adult

These books are SO MESSED UP. But this is the last Kuehn book I had left to read and fjakdslfd I'm sad. I mean everyone in her books are extremely messed up, unhinged, and half the time actually the most unlikeable creatures -- but they're so FREAKING ADDICTIVE AND EXCELLENTLY WRITTEN. (Pls write more.)

So I finished Complicit like 2 days ago and immediately borrowed this from the online library and then immediately started reading it. This is so wild. I usually let books moulder on my TBR for, um, 189 years. But I just felt like some super messy contemporaries so what can I say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My ARCs hate me. But yet here I am.

Anyway I did like reading them back-to-back, BUT I enjoyed Complicit more, mostly because this features 3 narrators and two absolutely thrived on cruelty. They are so gross. But that was the point. These books aren't about sweet characters you root for. More about massively problematic characters on a downward spiral?!

Emerson: was a horrible bully who was in full denial that he was ever wrong.
Sadie: thrived on cruelty and absolutely cared nothing for anyone or anything.
Miles: was Emerson's little brother who was constantly sick/abused and pitching towards darkness.

The whole story was addictive, often terrifying, and full of bad decisions and desperately flawed thinking. I did NOT like the horrible cruelty in here, but it was interesting reading about kids who were bad but the point was not to make them all "aww tragic and forgivable". The ENDING THO. I WANT MORE ANSWERS AHHHHH.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delicate Monsters.

April 27, 2015 – Shelved
April 27, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 9, 2018 – Started Reading
July 11, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 11, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
July 11, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps I agree. All of her books are what I call creepy good.

message 2: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews Yes exactly!? SuPER disturbing but totally excellently written!