Gokce ~Muslin Myst~'s Reviews > Devil in Winter

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

** spoiler alert ** I think it's become quite impossible for me to give this series any rating other than 5 stars. I'm already feeling blue because the next one will be the last of the series.

This book of the Wallflowers quartet tells the story of the womanizer Lord St. Vincent and the shyest of all wallflowers, Evie Jenner.

I love Evie. From what we've known of her so far, she was very withdrawn, shy around other people but she has the heart of gold. We've already told a bit about her overbearing family but I didn't know things were this bad for her. I couldn't believe the things her brute uncles did to her, she was a sure victim of violence and negligence. They practically tortured the poor girl by using physical and emotional pressure, and even denied her food when she didn't act to their liking. If this was a tv show it'd be Law and Order: Svu.

So I could totally understand and support her decision to make an offer of marriage to St. Vincent, who, very recently had kidnapped and tried to force Lillian into marriage himself.

I felt so bad for Evie, for all she's been through, I think I wanted her to be the happiest. I mean, of course I wish for all Wallflowers to be happy and all, but Evie was such a tortured heroine that I wanted to get into that book and strangle those uncles of her myself. With bare hands. Perhaps a few kicks to the groin to ensure they'd suffer to the fullest.

St. Vincent, on the other hand, was a more closed box. We first met him when he was his most nonchalant and playful and flirty, and then he turned into the kidnapper and finally the last hope for Evie. I have to say I was angry with him by the end of the previous book. He did deserve to fall to his knees for a woman. Or get shot, whatever :)

But of course I couldn't stay mad at St. Vincent for long. He was so considerate and charming to Evie, even before they got married, when they were travelling hastily to Gretna Green. I guess he was waiting for the right woman to melt his heart.

I loved the way he treated Evie. It might've seemed like he was indifferent and careless towards her, but Lisa Kleypas gave enough hints here and there to let us know that he felt much different inside. After all, he was a player, he wasn't used to loving someone with such intensity and by the end of the book this is made more clear when he constantly refused to acknowledge his true feelings and the true intensity of those feelings for Evie.

Even though I knew this was supposed to end happy, I have to admit I was on edge reading those pages after St. Vincent got shot for Evie. But I also loved those parts the most in the book because we got to see St. Vincent at his most vulnerable and I know my heart melted for him. He was a bad patient though :) I loved his childlike personality in those pages.

Needless to say these two were a perfect match. Who better to reform an infamous rake other than the shy beauty?

"Really, someone should tell St Vincent that he's a living cliché. He has become the embodiment of everything they say about reformed rakes." - Oh Lillian! :)

Which brings me to Lillian and Wescliff. I was so glad to see them, for a while I wondered if we were ever gonna see any of the other wallflowers but of course when things go bad, Wescliff to the rescue! It seems like he's always there to help save the day, great man, soon to be a father. I was so happy to hear that!

Lisa Kleypas enchants me with her writing. There's something about the way she writes the romance and the characters that they come off the pages and sit with you while you read and laugh and shed a single tear with them.

I can't wait to read the next one where the adventurous Daisy finds her happily ever after.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil in Winter.

11/22/2010 page 154
42.0% "Oh my dear St Vincent, who am I kidding? You had me at 'Hello! May I kidnap, marry and seduce you please?'"

message 1: by Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R (last edited Nov 24, 2010 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R Nice Review girly =) But I gotta say this one tops all the books in this series in my opinion =P I love it! Evie and St.Vincent were perfect for each other.

Oh one more thing,there is a 5th book, A Wallflower Christmas (Wallflowers, #5) by Lisa KleypasI think you should add it if you haven't yet. I love it,we get to read & reunite with the Wallflowers, also this story is on Rafe Bowman(Lillian & Daisy's big brother). I think you'll like it.

Rhonda Excellent review!!! Hey, you have the Hathaways to look forward to, so don't feel too blue!!

Leah Great review, babe! This book is tied for first in this series with It Happened One Autumn. And Evie is my favorite of the all the Wallflowers. I wanted her to be the happiest. While Westcliff is still my favorite male of the series, I think that overall, Evie and Sebastian are my favorite couple of this series. So adorable. And I loved seeing him melt for her!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Thank Elena!! :D Aw, I love that couple as well, they were so freaking adorable and gotta say I loved Sebastian's crappy patient bit! LOL!

Oh yeah, I know about that xmas book, already got it on my to-read list I think and I'll read it. But I'll still miss the Wallflowers books :( Oh well, there's nothing left but to read them over and over and complain about real life guys! ;D

Thanks Rhonda! YES!! I know and thank God for that! ;D

Thanks chica! I know, it was hard not to love Evie's shy nature. These two were really adorable and I loved how they were also very much like friends too, well, friends with wishful benefits who happen to be husband and wife! LOL!

Leah OMG, the crabby patient bit! LOL. He was so freaking adorable! ;P

Gokce, I know just what you mean! I'm going to be starting AWC today but I miss my Wallflowers! Now, I guess I'll just have to reread them all over again! ;D

LOL! Very true. They became friends first before falling in love. They kinda remind me of Simon and Annabelle that way. Because Lillian and Westcliff were never really friends before they fell in love and Daisy and my our (grrrrr!) Matty weren't friends either before they realized they loved each other.

Heather I loved this book, it might rank as my #1 Lisa Kleypas title. There is something about both of them, not just in this book, but even seeing them interact in other titles in the series. I needs me a St. Vincent!

Leah Heather, I can honestly say that I don't know what my favorite LK book is! If someone asked me right now, I would say it's a tie between It Happened One Autumn, Devil in Winter, Scandal in Spring, and Tempt Me at Twilight! LOL

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Glad you liked it, Gokce! Great review!

Heather Lady Leah Westcliff wrote: "Heather, I can honestly say that I don't know what my favorite LK book is! If someone asked me right now, I would say it's a tie between It Happened One Autumn, Devil in Winter, Scandal in Spring, ..." Haha, I'm the same way (if you couldn't already tell). But I consistently come back to Devil in Winter, and Love in the Afternoon.

Rhonda I loved them all too!
Simon is still my favorite!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Leah, he was so freaking adorable when he kept ringing the bell to Evie over and over LOL!
Oh stop complaining already, you love to share!! LOL! How's Scandal in Spring going? I'm loving it, Matty is so adorable :)

Heather, you're so right and I know what you mean about these two, there's some kinda magic there! ;)

I still have Hathaways to look forward to! :)

Thanks Danielle!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Rhonda, it's so damn hard for me to choose! I'll have them all please! ;D

Rhonda I'll second that!!

message 14: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL, you know me too well! I DO love sharing with you, LOL. I finished Scandal in Spring last night. Stayed up until 4:00 so I could finish it! LOL. It was FANTASTIC!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Great review Gokce! I am glad you liked it : ) Sebastian and Evie were such a sweet couple, once St Vincent stopped being an ass! lol I love this book, I love the whole series, you will have to read SiS slowly so you can savour it as it is the last in the series!

Oh you finished SiS Leah? I will check out your review (if you have done one yet)!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ I'm planning to finish SiS today, though a part of me wishes to savour it slowly like Suzanne said but I also wanna know what's gonna happen! Lol.

Thanks Suzanne! Oh, I loved it, they really were so sweet. Lol, oh c'mon, St Vincent wasn't that much of an ass! He kept her feet warm all the way to Gretna Green! ;D

This series is probably among my all time faves, I'm really depressed that it's over now even though I have other books to look forward to.

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Even when Sebastian was being an ass, I didn't think he was being an ass! LOL. Maybe I just love him too much!

Suzanne! Of course I wrote one! Are you kidding me?! LOL.

Gokce, you MUST finish it! Oh gosh, I AODRE SiS!

Yeah! He was just so freaking adorable with Evie... :D

This series is definitely one of my all time favorites. I'm so depressed that I finished A Wallflower Christmas last night and now it's over. Granted, I still have to read Again the Magic (MORE WESTCLIFF, YEAH!) but I miss my Wallflowers, damn it! I'm totally rereading the series during Christmas!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Leah, I couldn't agree more! I love my Wallflowers series dammit, why did it have to end?!?! Can we be part of that series and have our very own HEAs please??

Tonight I'm finishing SiS!!

message 19: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Can I kill off Lillian and have Westcliff fall madly in love with me? Because that would be perfection! LOL.

Whoot whoot! ;P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL! I gotta warn you, Lillian seems like a pretty kick-ass lady LOL. Though you know I'd cheer for you! ;D

Yayy! \o/

message 21: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! I could take her! You know how fierce I get when I fight for someone I want. Just imagine that, like tripled for fighting for Westcliff!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL! I can imagine!! You'd definitely kick her ass and if you don't want to waste energy I'll grab the baby and distract her while you snatch Westcliff to our harem! LOL.

message 23: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! Works for me! Let's see how the fighting goes. If worse comes to worse then we can go with your plan!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL! Always happy to help. I'm wearing my 'Go Leah!' t-shirt! :P

message 25: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! How convenient! I'm wearing my "I Love Gokce" shirt! ;P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL! Aww. Wait, I2m changing into my 'I love Leah' shirt :P

message 27: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! Awwww! We are too cute! Imagine how we would be together in real life, LOL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ We'd be AWESOME!! LOL.

message 29: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. Hell yeah we would! And we would get on smashingly! LOL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ No doubts babe!! :D

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) LOL, I feel left out can I have a tshirt please : (?

message 32: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Of course! My shirt actually says "I Love Gokce And Suzanne!"

Gokce's says the same except it's me and you, dear. Have no fear!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Of course you already have a shirt Suzanne! Yep, my shirt says 'I Love Leah and Suzanne!' :D

message 34: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I mean, seriously. As if we could forget you! PSHT!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Phew *puts on T-shirt* see mine say "I Love Gokce and Leah" *grins*

message 37: by Leah (last edited Nov 26, 2010 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Oh I love it! It looks great on you!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Yeah Suzanne, I love that font you used!

message 39: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah It's very creative! Love the colors, too!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Why, thank you very much, *strikes a pose* I do look good if I say so myself!

message 41: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Quite lovely, dear! :D

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Wonderful! :D

message 43: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I thought you would like it, watch this *pushes remote button* see it lights up *letter light up and sparkle*

message 45: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Oh my! That is very lovely, Suzanne! I am jealous!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Omg how cool!!! Oooh, sparkle!! *jumps up and down*

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) See I knew you would like it!!

message 48: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah We LOVE it, Suzanne! :D

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Lovely review! That Law and order: Svu line made me laugh! I loved this book!!!!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Thanks doll!!
What? It's true!! :D