Karen's Reviews > Confections of a Closet Master Baker: One Woman's Sweet Journey from Unhappy Hollywood Executive to Contented Country Baker

Confections of a Closet Master Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado

Oct 16, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: food, memoir

My friend Glenda recommended it, but I wish I had found it before getting a diagnosis of hypoglycemia. Oh, my. So much white flour, butter and sugar. I skipped the recipes and focused on Gesine's cranky wit. As someone who has perfected the art of kvetching myself, I appreciate her world view. She's a bookish gal, so she does a good job creating a word-wrought path into the mind of a baking artist. I could never live her life, but I admire the passion and dedication she brings to her bakery business. I bow with respect to all bakers. Thank you for sacrificing so much in order to satisfied the cravings of a sweet tooth.

Gesine also does a good job memorializing a number of people: her larger-than-life late mother, the townies with their particular quirks, a number of nameless (for privacy) faceless (thanks to botox) characters from her loathsome days in Hollywood, and her bakery staff. Less fleshed out is her sister, Sandra Bullock, who makes occaisional appearances. But "Sandy" is always a bit removed, a bit iconic, a bit one-dimensional. I believe that Gesine has deep respect for her sister, so she doesn't sell her out by providing very scant detail. But Gesine puts front and center her struggles to achieve her own identity in her sister's shadow. I do think that she has found a place and a profession that is all her own, but one that Sandra supports but doesn't appropriate.

A great book about remaking yourself by following your bliss. I admire you, Gesine! If I'm ever in Montpelier, I'll stop by and pay my respects while paying my upulsively large tab.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confections of a Closet Master Baker.

October 16, 2010 – Shelved