Kristopher's Reviews > The Postman Always Rings Twice

The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain

May 16, 2007

bookshelves: noir, james-m-cain, formative, 30s-fiction, classics, phd-reading-list
Recommended for: crime fiction lovers, film noir buffs
Read in July, 2003

Such a quick read, it's almost not worth it to not read it. An American crime classic that takes you by force on the page when you realize when it was written. It still has the power it did then. Cain is a ferocious writer, taking hard writing to levels Hemingway dreamed, I think.

I have much romanticized this book since I read an old copy of it in one sitting at the University of Maryland library. I couldn't take the copy I had with me, so I read it all there. I had a giddy smile on my face the whole time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postman Always Rings Twice.

01/27 marked as: read

message 1: by Gwen (new) - added it

Gwen Okay okay you've hooked me. It's going on my to reads list.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Beversluis I like how Cain always has these dumb characters who think they're smart. It is very amusing. And they seem to have antagonism toward women, but they can never beat them...... I saw another James Lee Burke novel today at B&N in the new hardbacks section - being featured. I'll wait for the paperback, but you'd like these, too.

Kristopher I keep going back and forth on how high to rate this book.

Cain's characters are definitely interesting in their placement on the dumb-smart continuum.

I'm making my way to Burke. I'm growing a collection on my shelf, waiting for momentum to pick up and compel me to finally ignore my responsibilities and read him.

message 4: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Diamond You must read James Lee Burke !