☮Karen's Reviews > The Girl Who Came Home

The Girl Who Came Home by Hazel Gaynor

bookshelves: overdrive, audio, chgo-and-or-illinois, read-in-2016

As another anniversary of the Titanic disaster approaches, I listened to this story of Maggie Murphy, a survivor who traveled with 13 others from Ballysheen, Ireland. Her adventures before, during, and after the fateful trip are mingled with a 1980's time frame in Illinois where her great granddaughter, Grace, is writing Maggie's story for the Chicago Tribune. I enjoyed both time frames, but the narrator with an Irish brogue for Maggie's parts was a real delight while Grace's was a little too matter of fact for me.

It's hard to come up with something fresh when writing about the Titanic, and I did often picture Leonardo DiCaprio as the ship's steward, what with his mingling with the Irish lasses in steerage and all; but as the story continued and I saw where the author was going, it was hard to break away. Loved all the references to genealogical research.

A little chick-lit-ish, but more comforting than annoying.
Some might call the ending to Maggie's story sneaky or sly; it did annoy me a tiny bit until I gave it more thought and decided to cut the author some slack.
Nicely done audiobook.
3.5 stars rounded up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Came Home.

April 25, 2015 – Shelved
April 25, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 22, 2016 – Started Reading
March 22, 2016 – Shelved as: overdrive
March 22, 2016 – Shelved as: audio
March 27, 2016 – Shelved as: chgo-and-or-illinois
March 27, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
March 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by B the BookAddict (last edited Mar 27, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

B the BookAddict Very nice review, Karen. I like a good historical faction book about the Titanic but if you say this one is a bit 'chicklit-ish', then I will avoid it. I dislike chick lit.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley It's definitely hard to separate Leonardo DiCaprio from the Titanic! That was such an iconic movie.