John Fish's Reviews > Gorge: My Journey Up Kilimanjaro at 300 Pounds

Gorge by Kara Richardson Whitely

Thank you to Seal Press for the ARC for me to review. I was really looking forward to reading through Kara’s account of conquering Kilimanjaro as this is a lady that has climbed Kilimanjaro previously, then attempted a second ascent but failed, then was resolved to attempt it for the third time a remarkable lady by any standards especially when you take into account that she climbed Kilimanjaro weighing 300 pounds. A Remarkable achievement.
This is not just primarily an account of climbing Kilimanjaro but a real insight to the author’s deep and private life and is a warts and all account of her struggles with the addiction of food the associated problems that this brings. Kara is not looking for a shoulder to cry on here far from it more telling the reader that who-ever you are whatever you are going through you should never give up your dreams. Kara’s passion in life that comes through is to be an adventurer and Kilimanjaro has been a magnet that has pulled Kara back more than once.
The book moves through her private struggles with her addiction and through to her preparations and then the ascent of Kilimanjaro itself. Kara’s resilience and motivation are plain to see as you read through her account and is inspirational for anyone struggling with food addiction.
Having climbed Kilimanjaro in the past I know what that mountain can do to you, and it does pull you back. I just wish I shared Kara’s journey up Kili with her as she is a brave remarkable woman.
This is a book that should be read by anyone struggling and it will motivate you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gorge.

Started Reading