Casey's Reviews > A Maze of Death

A Maze of Death by Philip K. Dick

I had not realized how much I love and am fascinated by science fiction, particularly when it is in the form of short stories. A Maze of Death is disturbing, thought-provoking, and entirely confusing, which seems to be typical of this genre.

14 people end up in a settlement called "Delmak-O." They don't know why they are there, but the first arrivals were told to wait for the rest to appear before starting a tape that would contain the answers they so desperately desire. However, once everyone (save one member) has arrived, they find that the tape has been programmed to erase itself as it is played.

So begins a tale of death, murder, and insanity. Slowly, surely, each member is murdered somehow.

The whole story revolves around the theme of perception versus reality. For example, the table of contents describes events which never transpire. Even at the end of the story, the reader is left not entirely sure of what is reality and what is illusion, and it doesn't seem like any of the characters have any better of an idea.

Fairly quick read, and certainly mind-warping.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Maze of Death.

April 25, 2015 – Started Reading
April 25, 2015 – Shelved
April 26, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Dick is one I've been meaning to read. Time Magazine listed Ubik as one of the 100 best books of the 20th century, so it's been on my radar, but I've been a bit hesitant. How into sci-fi do I need to be in order to enjoy it?

message 2: by Casey (last edited Apr 27, 2015 06:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Casey Good question. Not very, I don't think. Mostly it keeps with the theme of science fiction--messing with readers' heads, playing with concepts of reality, etc.--without worrying too much about flying cars and whatnot. Flying cars/ship-things do play a part, but only a minor one. They are mostly a means to the end that is the messing with readers' minds.