Lynne's Reviews > Happier: Learn the Secrets to Daily Joy and Lasting Fulfillment

Happier by Tal Ben-Shahar

Jan 15, 2008

liked it

I saw the author of this book on the Daily Show and got the book because it was a good interview. This author teaches a class at Harvard on happiness (AKA "positive psychology") which attracts hundreds of students per year. He now has this book out modeled after the class. It probably is a lot more dynamic and interesting as a college class. In the book there are these goofy exercises you are supposed to do, things that I could see working better in a small group session of a college course. Overall, it is good advice and totally makes sense. Not as helpful in my particular life situation, but still does have some good advice if you're stuck in a situation (for instance, MPs will come to your door and arrest you if you say, stop showing up to work). He comes off a little bit full of himself in places, but easy to ignore that. I can't really see how anyone at Harvard would be willing to use his advice (talk about rat race). Anyway, I guess if you can't take the class, then this is a fairly decent substitute.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happier.