Kai's Reviews > Annihilation

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

bookshelves: owned, 2017, underrated

“Silence creates its own violence.”

My initial reaction: BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN

And I'm still sitting here, wondering and pondering.
This novel was spectacular in every aspect. The best books are those that keep their secrets to themselves. Those, that don't tell you everything, that make you desperate for information that you will not receive. It's the mystery that keeps one interested, the depths that you want to explore. They make your fingers tremble because you want to touch everything, know the answer to every question. You want the silver platter, a glass filled with red wine and a bowl with all the unaswered riddles. But the author would rather let you die of thirst than serve them to you.

That's what I live for. Stories that leave me breathless. There are fantastic books out there. But those that tell me all their secrets will fade from memory. Now that I know, how else will you keep me interested?

Find more of my books on Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annihilation.

April 25, 2015 – Shelved
April 25, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 16, 2016 – Shelved as: owned
December 20, 2017 – Started Reading
December 22, 2017 –
page 121
62.05% "I have no idea what this is about but I love it"
December 22, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
December 22, 2017 – Shelved as: underrated
December 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Soooo accurate!

message 2: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Now I’m sitting here and still have no idea what’s going on 😄

Ryan Corbitt Getting all 3 for Xmas - 2 sleeps until I can finally start! Cannot wait!

message 4: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Ryan wrote: "Getting all 3 for Xmas - 2 sleeps until I can finally start! Cannot wait!"

You couldn't have made a better choice.

message 5: by Ryan (last edited Jan 09, 2018 06:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan This has been on my list of “must reads” for a while . I see it come in at work all the time. Thanks for this great description of your experience with this novle . Makes me even more eager to read this .

message 6: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai You should! It’s outstanding.

Ryan I will definitely be picking this up

message 8: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Ryan wrote: "I will definitely be picking this up"

Let me know when you do :)

Ryan I definitely will :)

Jackson Marschall "Those that make you desperate for information you will not receive" It's kind of a harsh truth for me but I absolutely agree. That fact makes it all the more readable. Great review

message 11: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Jackson wrote: ""Those that make you desperate for information you will not receive" It's kind of a harsh truth for me but I absolutely agree. That fact makes it all the more readable. Great review"

message 12: by Petr (new) - rated it 4 stars

Petr Bylok Exactly! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

message 13: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai Petr wrote: "Exactly! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!"

I still don't have a single idea