Michelle's Reviews > The Establishment: And How They Get Away with It

The Establishment by Owen   Jones

bookshelves: best-of-2015

It seems fitting that I am reviewing this on the eve of the general election here in the UK... This was a gripping read, albeit one that made me angry, and nauseous. It pretty much confirmed what I already knew, but also made me realise that the extent of who this country is run by and run for runs deeper than I could have possibly imagined. And now I can't 'unlearn' these things. And I see it everywhere - chiefly in the media (what a joke about this country having a 'free' press). I can only hope Ed Miliband does the business tonight and becomes our new Prime Minister. I can't bear another five years of the Tories...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Establishment.

April 24, 2015 – Started Reading
April 28, 2015 –
page 202
May 3, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 7, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Jocelyn (new) - added it

Jocelyn Jazmen Thank you M for helping me discover this book !

Michelle Ah, you're so welcome! It's excellent so far, although it's making me really angry :-/ Let me know what you think when you get to it.

message 3: by Jocelyn (new) - added it

Jocelyn Jazmen I will, though it might be awhile. We have a lot of books that are about such things in the States, so it would be good to get the scoop on examples from UK.

Michelle It would be interesting to get another perspective. Owen Jones has another book out called 'Chavs', which is similar and also excellent.

message 5: by Jocelyn (new) - added it

Jocelyn Jazmen I looked up this book, 'Chaves, but I don't think it's for me, as I wouldn't appreciate it to the same degree as a British person would.

Michelle You might be right. It's good though if you want to get an idea of how embedded the class system is in British society. 'The Establishment' focusses pretty much solely on British society too.

message 7: by Jocelyn (new) - added it

Jocelyn Jazmen Hi M
I know that The Establishment is an examination of government & politics and the elite in UK, but they are parallel to what's going on in the US. So I think it will be an eye-opener for me. Don't know when I'm going to get to it though ;)

Michelle I know, my friend - so many books, so little time :-) The chapter I've just finished focusses on the 'special relationship' between the UK and the US and was eye-watering... If you come across any similar books written from a US perspective then let me know as I would be interested in reading them :-)

message 9: by Jocelyn (new) - added it

Jocelyn Jazmen M wrote: "I know, my friend - so many books, so little time :-) The chapter I've just finished focusses on the 'special relationship' between the UK and the US and was eye-watering... If you come across an..."

Ok, I will. I think I should read this first to get a better idea of what I would recommend. But right now, the name Peter Dale Scott enters my head. I read one book by him The Road to 9/11: Wealth, Empire, and the Future of America and he can be a bit dry at times, but he's a good researcher.

Michelle Thank you so much - that book looks great! I definitely want to read it. Hooray!