Bruno de Maremma's Reviews > Letter to a Christian Nation

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

Jan 15, 2008

bookshelves: best-reads, humanism-skepticism
Read in January, 2008

Mr. Harris book is an easy and fast read as well as a 'must read' for anyone who values rational and moral thought over religious faith as a guide for behaviour. The current rise of the religious right in America frankly frightens me. As Mr. Harris says in his preamble 'the truth is that many who claim to be transformed by Christ's love are deeply, even murderously intolerant of criticism.' This quote from Jann Levin sums up the book nicely.
"“Sam Harris fearlessly describes a moral and intellectual emergency precipitated by religious fantasies–misguided beliefs that create suffering, that rationalize violence, that have endangered our nation and our future. His argument for the morality, the honesty, and the humility of atheism is galvanizing. It is a relief that someone has spoken so frankly, with such passion yet such rationality. Now when the subject arises, as it inevitably does, I can simply say: Read Sam Harris’ Letter to a Christian Nation.”
–Janna Levin, Columbia University, author of How the Universe Got Its Spots and A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines.
He actually does much more than describe an emergency. He gives you rational arguments to refute the claims of the those who would tell you that they are doing the will of their god. Please read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letter to a Christian Nation.

03/18/2016 marked as: read