CatchTheseWords's Reviews > Haven Lost

Haven Lost by Josh de Lioncourt

F 50x66
Apr 24, 2015

This book was incredible. I didn’t expect it to be half as good as it was, most fantasy books now run along a similar theme, but this has to be one of the best I’ve read in a long time.

I loved the main character, Emily. She’s not overly dramatic or insecure like most heroines are. Yes, she experiences doubts from time to time, but mostly she approaches situations with a clear head and tries to sort things out the best she can. Whether that’s her miserable home life, finding her way in a world where she doesn’t belong or entering battle she is generally as focussed as she possibly can be.

Every other character in this book had a purpose. I either found myself laughing or getting frustrated with their actions, willing them to help or just hoping they would go away to leave our protagonists to be successful. I particularly want to mention Celine, who made me laugh a great deal but is also a perfect example of the friend we all need.

Every time I thought I had figured out where the book was going something happened and I was back at square one again. At no point though was I bored. There was always something happening, some situation to be figured out and added into the puzzle that was slowly taking form.

I’m going to be honest and say I didn’t see what was revealed in the ending coming at all. It was as much of a surprise to me as it was to Emily.

I’m very much looking forward to the second volume and I hope some of you will read it with me.

If you are looking for a fresh, new fantasy series set in an epic world then I think you would enjoy this.

I’d like to thank the author for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven Lost.

Started Reading