Fiona McShane's Reviews > Exile

Exile by Tom  Stacey

Whilst climbing the mountain of Widowpeak, two young brothers (Loster and Barde) discover an ancient chamber. There, they awaken something, something from stories of old, something that would have been better left sleeping.

Three years pass. Loster, now fourteen, is haunted by what happened in the chamber that day. He is a boy filled with fear. When he is sent to be a priest, he thinks it is the best thing for him.

The Forester, Beccorban, is a man with a past. He has another name, one that strikes fear into all who hear it. Most people think he is dead. Others do their best to make sure he soon will be.

Callistan has no memories. He has been in battle. With who, and why? He must discover who he really is and find his family before it’s too late.

Riella is a woman who remembers her old life all too well. That is why she wants to go to Kressel, to become a priestess at the Temple Dawn.

These characters must face a new, terrifying world. They must fight slipskins and echoes, the creatures of stories, the creatures of nightmare … the creatures who want this world to be their own.

So that’s a little of the story …

… and here’s what I thought:

There’s a lot to take in in a fantasy like this – new lands, unusual names, frightening creatures. Handled differently, this could have been hard to digest. But here, the writer handles it extremely well. I was never once confused about where the characters were or where they were heading. But if I had been confused, the book comes with a trusty map.

The writing is vivid. Gory moments made me wince. Battle scenes had me on the edge of my seat. The romantic moments (yes, there were one or two) had me smiling. The writing is so vivid, in fact, that everything takes on a personality. Even the weapons. Esha, Riella’s weapon, has a particularly poignant story behind its name.
By the end of the book I knew the characters so well that I did not want it to end. Luckily for me, I hear that there’s a second Bloodforge book to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exile.

April 24, 2015 – Shelved